+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A7N8X POST fails after CMOS reset

That did the trick! I had a stick of 256K Mushkin lying around, popped that in and booted up first try! I never would have thought of this, since I'd have expected that booting it up with no RAM at all would at least start post and give me a beep code, but you had it right. So it booted, I saved the CMOS settings, and put the Corsair back in.

I flashed 1003, booted again, no dice. I had to go back to the Mushkin, again save the settings, then back to the Corsair. Now it is humming.

Thanks!

>>>
    A7N8X rev 1.04 BIOS 1003
    Corsair twinx1024-3200LL
    Athlon 800 (for the next 30 minutes maybe!)
    Dual-head Matrox G400

Shoot me!

Swapped in a AthlonXP 2600+, reset the FSB jumper, and I get the POST beep and then the system shuts down. I suspected heat, so I pulled off the moderately large sink, Arctic Silver is pretty evenly and thinly spread, so it would appear the sink was well seated.

So this reminded me:

With the Athlon 800 in the board, going to BIOS HW monitor page hung the BIOS. I figured this was some sensor wasn't working with the desperately old CPU, and didn't worry about it.

So I figure, maybe the CMOS was weird from the old CPU, so lets reset it again. Did so, swapped the Mushkin ram back in, still no dice, POST gets as far as 1 beep, and shuts down maybe a second or two later.

Any ideas?

>>>
    A7N8X rev 1.04 BIOS 1003
    Palomino 2600+
    Mushkin 256K PC2700
    Dual-head Matrox G400

Default A7N8X POST fails after CMOS reset

Honest, I didn't flash the BIOS, I only reset it using the jumper!

Ever since, not POST. No beeps. No lights on the keyboard. Changed CPUs to an old TBird 800 I had lying about (and switched to 200FSB), nothing. Tried w/o RAM, and w/o video. Nothing.

Any suggestions? I've read somewhere that forcing the system to see a new CPU would sometimes clear things up, so I thought I might actually change the CPU 8-), but it didn't seem to help.

This h/w was working prior to the reset ...

>>>
    A7N8X rev 1.04 BIOS 1001.E
    AthlonXP 2000+ *or* TBird 800
    2 sticks 512 Corsair 3200LL
    Matrox G400 dual-head

A few nForce2 BIOS have gone bad after being reset. Perhaps a hotflash at your local retailer might help your situation. Although to be honest, I have not heard of the problem with any ASUS nForce2 board.

this is a known motherboard chipset bios and memory conflict problem in many modern Nforce2 boards, so far at least A7N8X and 8RDA i know of.

resetting the bios before putting in the low latency corsair ram will resault in unbootable state. this is due to the low timing settting specified by the memory speed during initial boot up is too unstable to work with older bios version. you need to find a slower timing memory module and swap it in and boot it up to get it started and go into the bios to change the timing to a much slower (higher) number. then swap in the new corsair memory to boot it up again. once it's booted up... you need to flash the bios to at least 1.002 to fix this problem. all bios version before 1.002 such as 1.001e, g are very bad. the 1.002 and later version have fixed this problem along with many other bug fixes.

hope this helps!

+ Reply to Thread