+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this Apple IIgs worth anything?

CompSnake Guest

i dunno BAM, 2.8mhz

Default Is this Apple IIgs worth anything?

Hey. I am trying to sell my dad's old Apple IIgs and I was wondering how much I could expect to get for it. It is one of the limited edition models signed by Steve Wozniak. It has a memory expansion card and I am not entirely sure, but I think it is 1mb. We still have the original boxes and some of the manuals including several editions of the Apple Incider magazine. Included with it are the 5" and 3.5" floppy drives, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I have looked on Ebay only to be extremely dissapointed by the prices people are getting for them. We were told by a computer guy about 6-7 years ago that if we held onto it for a while it would be worth a lot. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Paul

Noda clue amigo....but good luck.

Your asking the wrong people. It's value is all sentimental. It's absloutely worthless as a computing device now. People have trouble getting rid of their old P2s and Celerons let alone an antique like your Apple II. Look for tech collectors(if there are any) or ask museums. Who knows maybe someone's looking to build a computer history exhibit. Don't hold your breath for that though.

all electronics have price depreciation. apples computers in general have smaller depreciation than PCs. but saying something like "it'll worth a lot in a couple years" is just none sense. never trust a sales guy. generally an mac should have a somewhat higher resell value than a PC equivalent. don't expect too much out of it.

Put it in your attic and show it to your grandkids in 50 years.

<< Put it in your attic and show it to your grandkids in 50 years. >>

Yup....

Alright. Thanks anyway. I figured I would not get anything from someone just wanting a computer to work on (even though as Howard said Apples tend to loose value more slowly than other pc's). Actually, I was figuring it would possibly (and I stress possibly) gain value over time because it is an old computer and would gain value in the eyes of a collector. P.S. Howard...the guy that told us was not a sales guy but someone my dad knew who works with computers.

CompSnake Guest

here, i thought this was intresting
    Apple IIgs
    Codename: Cortland, Phoenix, Rambo, Gumby

CPU: Western Design Center 65SC816

CPU Speed: 2.8 Mhz

FPU: integrated

Bus Speed: 1 Mhz

Data Path: 16 bit

ROM: 128/256 kb

Onboard RAM: 256 kb

Maximum RAM: 8 MB

Maximum Resolution: 2 bit 640x200, 4 bit 320x200

Floppy Drive: 5.25" Disk ][ or 3.5" Sony 800k, via floppy port

ADB: 1

Serial: DB-19

SCSI: via expansion card

Video Out: DB-25

Speaker(s): mono

Introduced: September 1986

Terminated: December 1992

The last member of the Apple II line, The Apple IIgs was a also the most powerful. Announced in September 1986, the IIgs was built around a Western Design Center 65C816 processor running at either 2.8 or 1 Mhz. It included expanded graphics and sound functions, and was initially offered with 256k of RAM, expandable to 8 MB. The IIgs also offered 128k of ROM, expandable to 1 MB. The IIgs shipped with a Mac-like interface and a IIgs-specific OS, and introduced the Apple Desktop Bus (ADB) port. (It also ran most other Apple II software.) The IIgs was the first computer to include a Large Scale Integration (LSI) chip, designed by Steve Wozniak, and called the IWM (Integrated Woz Machine). The IIgs was later offered with 1 MB of RAM, and 256k of ROM. It could also hold a SCSI adapter card, and was discontinued in December of 1992. Many 3rd party refinements and expansions have been offered for the Apple IIgs (including processor upgrades up to 18 Mhz), and there is still a fairly large installed base.

Cool. Thanks.

Paul

lazyrunner50, maybe if you keep it another 50 years it'll be worth some fortune . but i don't think it's possible in the recent years

Advertise it on eBay. Maybe someone will mistake 2.8mhz as 2.8Ghz!!!! Then you'll make a little cash.