+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building a server..

phill9800 is offline 3500 posts and all I got was this T-shirt phill9800 will become famous soon enough

Talking Building a server..

im just wondering whether or not you guys might be able to help me build up a server for being on 24/7.

i need something thats going to be very cheap to run (electric costs ) but thats going to be also quite quiet as well.

i think i might have mentioned it before, but i was thinking about a C3 or VIA cpu as it doesnt require as much for cooling as AMD's or Intel cpu's do.

please can someone recommend a few things for me?

thanks a million!
    [url=**********************.hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12623][img]**********************.hwbot.org/signature/u12623.png[/img][/url]

[url=****************valid.canardpc**********/show_oc.php?id=1024291][img]****************valid.canardpc**********/cache/banner/1024291.png[/img][/url]

- amd mobile 2500+
    - any amd motherboard (nforce2?! one's with the lower voltage the better you can seriously underclock + undervolt that mobile maybe even a passive heatsink ...if it loads under 60 degrees celcius with a passive i would say go for it )
    - TT silent boost or Zalman 7000A-CU
    - 1x256 or 2x256 generic cas 2.5 mem depending on budget
    - generic case + psu
    - geforce fx5200 (i'd personally never go with integrated gfx unless money was a BIG issue...you decide)
    - what everelse spks, mon, keyboard, mouse, hdd, cdrw combo drive?!, floppy?!

oh gosh...haha...i just saw your sig...maybe you should give the mobile + mobo to your main rig and put that 1800 to the server till you upgrade to amd64
    Last edited by bluegreenshxt; 09-23-04 at 02:34 PM.
    <table><td width=325>[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Gray"][B]Intel Q9450[/B] 3.2/1.1250v TRUE + Scythe S-Flex SFF21E
    [B]OCZ Platinum PC8000[/B] 4x2gb 5-5-5-15 @960/1.8v
    [B]Gigabyte EP35-DS4[/B]
    [B]Samsung[/B] Spintpoint T HD501LJ HDD
    [B]Creative SB X-Fi Extreme Music[/B] + some USB t-amp
    [B]Sapphire HD3870[/B] @stock w/ AC Accelero S1[/COLOR][/SIZE]<td>[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Gray"][B]Antec P180B[/B] w/ 5x Yate Loon D12SL-12 @5v
    [B]Some Hi-Fi Speakers[/B] + dual 8" subs
    [B]Logitech G9 Mouse[/B]
    [B]Saitek Eclipse Keyboard[/B]
    [B]LG 37LB5D[/B]
    [B]Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 650W[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]</table>

What will you be using the server for? Once we know that it's easier to recommend...
    Woo it's always fun

phill9800 is offline 3500 posts and all I got was this T-shirt phill9800 will become famous soon enough

hosting web page, ftp server (if i can ever get my router to make it work...) but just mainly being on all the time with minimum power useage... its got to be cheap to run!!
    [url=**********************.hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12623][img]**********************.hwbot.org/signature/u12623.png[/img][/url]

[url=****************valid.canardpc**********/show_oc.php?id=1024291][img]****************valid.canardpc**********/cache/banner/1024291.png[/img][/url]

Wink theres no need to hurt my feelings.... sniff

Quote Originally Posted by bluegreenshxt
    - amd mobile 2500+
    - any amd motherboard (nforce2?! one's with the lower voltage the better you can seriously underclock + undervolt that mobile maybe even a passive heatsink ...if it loads under 60 degrees celcius with a passive i would say go for it )
    - TT silent boost or Zalman 7000A-CU
    - 1x256 or 2x256 generic cas 2.5 mem depending on budget
    - generic case + psu
    - geforce fx5200 (i'd personally never go with integrated gfx unless money was a BIG issue...you decide)
    - what everelse spks, mon, keyboard, mouse, hdd, cdrw combo drive?!, floppy?!

oh gosh...haha...i just saw your sig...maybe you should give the mobile + mobo to your main rig and put that 1800 to the server till you upgrade to amd64
    well to be honest i know my main rig is bad, you dont have to rub salt into my wounds!!

i was thinking of a mobile, but i didnt think i needed the performance, would i? it would be doing the cancer research program i have so maybe that might be something...

my amd 64 rig, wont be long!! after christmas or just before i will have a new rig!! i cant take much more of this one!!

Is this server going to be hosted in you home or ISP? I'd go with a 1U dual P3 server 800 MHz+ witih at least 1-2GB of ECC Registered memory. Onboard video, no sound card and a nice fast IDE HDD. That should be good enough for a web server, PCStats two years ago was on something like that.

If you're going iwth an FTP server perhaps you should get yourself a dedicated SCSI RAID controller (capble of RAID 5 or 10 for expansion needs), that is if the data is imporant.

We're actually going to be buying a few new servers soon and are pondering the same questions and ideas.
    Woo it's always fun

Wink dual cpu's?!!? it'll be faster than my main rig!!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    Is this server going to be hosted in you home or ISP? I'd go with a 1U dual P3 server 800 MHz+ witih at least 1-2GB of ECC Registered memory. Onboard video, no sound card and a nice fast IDE HDD. That should be good enough for a web server, PCStats two years ago was on something like that.

If you're going iwth an FTP server perhaps you should get yourself a dedicated SCSI RAID controller (capble of RAID 5 or 10 for expansion needs), that is if the data is imporant.

We're actually going to be buying a few new servers soon and are pondering the same questions and ideas.
    well thanks for the help colin i was wondering whether or not i really needed the power i guess, as you can see, my main rig at the moment is about as much use as a wet chicken..

the data isnt all that important, i just have lots of it! speed i dont think to be honest is all that important, my upload is only 256k and to be honest, a 6.4gig pio 4 ide drive would have enough speed for it!

do i really need a twin cpu or could i get away with something cheaper and not so powerfull? at the moment the server is hosted at home, my isp only gives me 50mbs of space and to be fair, aint enough by a long shot!

also colin, i have been finding that when people reply to my posts, ive not been getting the emails through so that i know when people are replying to me.. i have checked and im wanting the email notification, but i dont get one.. any ideas? im still signed up to the threads and all that.. something i have done????

If your going to be using this off your home connection, then just about anything will be fast enough. Basically the only minimum requirements you have to worry about are those for Windows XP. You should have at least a PIII/Athlon 1Ghz, with 256MB of RAM. How much storage space are you looking to have? An older system like than could possibly hold 750GB (3x250GB, and 1 ROM drive). You'd have much greater storage options if you went with a board that had SATA ports as well.

if i was to build a server i could store things on that rather than the main rig which would save me a good amount of cash..

over in england avid6eek, we dont have great broadband connections like you guys over in the states and canada.. we are mainly limited to a max (where i live anyways) of a 2mbs download and a 256k upload.. if we wanted something that does 2mb up and down, we would be looking at AT LEAST £200 a month!! Thats roughly $360!! (us)

its not ideal in anyway, shape nor fashion..

Tick Guest

I run and FTP server off of a P||| with 386 ram @ 250G HDD space. I set this up for my freinds in a clan (not that we need another ftp) But I host more than 15,000 music files and another 30G of misc programz. With space to spare I hope to upgrade my HDD soon and have more than a trarbyte by next year.

All told I have 580G of HDD space at this time.

Tick

Talking sounds good...

Quote Originally Posted by Tick
    I run and FTP server off of a P||| with 386 ram @ 250G HDD space. I set this up for my freinds in a clan (not that we need another ftp) But I host more than 15,000 music files and another 30G of misc programz. With space to spare I hope to upgrade my HDD soon and have more than a trarbyte by next year.

All told I have 580G of HDD space at this time.

Tick
    well at the moment i have nearly 400gigs but the pc is a little slow to be doing everything that i want it to do so, basically i need two seperate machines.. i really cant take things not being quick enough!!

im aiming for SATA drives, as i can add more of those into the system!! at the moment over in england the 200gig drives are the best for price to size ratio's.. but then im wanting some more space on my main rig as well, so i guess im aiming for a terabyte im sure i can add a bit more if i need it

Red face managed to suss this much out...

hows this for the hardware side of things?

NF7-S Rev 2 nforce 2 board or NF7-S2G nforce 2 board
    geil 1gig of pc3200 value ram
    2 x 200 gig IDE or SATA drives
    1.44mb floppy drive
    pioneer 16x dvd rom drive
    antec plus 660AMG metallic gray mini tower case + 330w true power PSU
    an amd xp mobile cpu (anything from 2400 to 2600)
    thermalright ALX 800 heatsink or SLK-947U heatsink (very little price difference)
    zalman ZMF1 80mm silent case fan

now would that be cheap to run and quick enough to use? i was hoping to at least overclock the cpu to 2.2ghz depending on how cool it was running..

my main aim is to be running it 24/7 so is this going to cost a lot to run or would it be fairly cheap? with regards to a graphics card, i might consider just swapping over the g4 i have at the moment when i get my main rig sorted out.. too much? i might be able to get hold of a g2 mx or something if thats going to be a better option..

what does anyone think? thanks for the help and input

I find this to be a very good case, and the one I plan on using for me network file server that I plan on building in the future:

**********************.newegg**********/app/viewproduc...129-150&DEPA=0

I just like it because it's inexpensive, has a 120mm exhaust, and a 350w Antec PSU. It has room for 4 HDs + a floppy, or just 5 HDs. That's enough space for me, but I don't know about you.

I also think the gig of RAM is overkill. I would suggest a single 512MB memory module. This will only take advantage of single channel memory, but there isn't much of a performance boost if you use dual channel, and it leaves room open for an additional 512MB to run in dual channel if you need performance in the future.

Wink so, not bad for a novice?

Quote Originally Posted by Avid6eek
    I find this to be a very good case, and the one I plan on using for me network file server that I plan on building in the future:

**********************.newegg**********/app/viewproduc...129-150&DEPA=0

I just like it because it's inexpensive, has a 120mm exhaust, and a 350w Antec PSU. It has room for 4 HDs + a floppy, or just 5 HDs. That's enough space for me, but I don't know about you.

I also think the gig of RAM is overkill. I would suggest a single 512MB memory module. This will only take advantage of single channel memory, but there isn't much of a performance boost if you use dual channel, and it leaves room open for an additional 512MB to run in dual channel if you need performance in the future.
    i believe its nearly the same sort of case as the antec model i have said about. it too has a true power 330w psu, which i thought would be more than enough to cope with what im putting inside it.. im aiming on keeping it as quiet as possible, so any low noise fans will be ideal

i wasnt sure about the amount of ram, but i figured as it was slightly slower memory, a little more might not hurt? i figured it was also a nice round number for the server im not so worried about the performance boost, just having more than enough memory was my concern!!

also, how would i make it so that i could host my own unreal 2004 games off of the server? would my 256k upload be a bit limiting? thanks for the advice tho Avid6eek, it really is appreaited is that going to be ok other wise tho?

Upload bandwidth is a huge concern when hosting your own games. I have 384Kb upload, it was was enough to confortably host only 8 people in Halo....I could host up to 12 if it wasn't such a large map. Home connections just aren't enough for hosting dedicated game servers. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

Question

your telling me, over in the uk, the fastest upload we can get is just 256k unless you live right next to the captial of the country, which for me is over 230miles away!! even then you might be only able to get a 400k upload as well! SDSL hasnt come out very much over here and as it stands, even a 512k up/down speed is at least £150 a month.. something for businesses only at the moment i think.. would i be ok hosting 8 people or would i be struggling?
    Last edited by phill9800; 09-26-04 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo

Well, the next level of DSL is starting to be offered in some places in the US. For $35/month you get 15Mb download / 3Mb upload....or something crazy like that. For $50/month, you get 30Mb dowload! I can't wait for that at my house...probably going to be a couple years though.

those are speeds i can only dream of!! not that i would have a clue what to do with them once i had them, but sheesh!!

avid6eek, you have a 754 cpu dont you? what are they like for overclocking? cos i have a question... also, whats a good heatsink for them, if the retail model aint all that good ????

yup, fiber is already being tested in southern cali, washington, some other states by verizon. i hope they bring it to hawaii. i'll be in san diego in 2007 so it should be regularly offered then hopefully.
    CPU: Intel Q9400@3.6Ghz
    Mobo:GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-USB3P
    Mem: 8Gb DDR800
    Vid: HD3850 512mb(yeah, yeah, I know)

Quote Originally Posted by omga14
    yup, fiber is already being tested in southern cali, washington, some other states by verizon. i hope they bring it to hawaii. i'll be in san diego in 2007 so it should be regularly offered then hopefully.
    Yup...Verizon is the one testing it. It is being done in Southern California, Texas, and Florida. Verizon is our phone carrier here, so if all goes as planned, it should be available here soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill9800
    avid6eek, you have a 754 cpu dont you? what are they like for overclocking?
    If I could get an nForce 2 250 board to run, I'd test out the overclocking for you!