4 26.67%
  • Other

2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you Prime95?

Question Do you Prime95?

Somewhere along the line I got the notion that if your overclock couldnt pass a decently long Prime95 it wasnt 100% stable and libel to write corrupted data to the drive. Then something Shiz said in a thread he started for his A64 OC project got me thinking.

-Is it really required?
    -Has anyone ever heard of or have themselves fallen prey to OC'd CPU's writing bad ju-ju to the hard drives?
    -What about all of the enthusiast targeted websites, including PCstats, which list max overclock values for various products. I have yet to come across one which specifically said "yes, we can back these Overclocks up with Memtest86/Prime95 results".

Ive been a diehard Prime-er ever since I came across the program, but Shiz's post plants a seed of doubt in my ways. I wanted to see what was everyone elses take on this.
    Intel Core2 Duo E8500 E0 Stepping
    Asus P5Q Pro
    Patriot PVS24G6400LLK (4-4-4-12)
    Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (4-4-4-12)
    GTX260 Core 219
    Corsair CMPSU-520HX PSU
    Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

i dont prime...i didnt prime for my dad either...and neither of us has had any problems...
    <table><td width=325>[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Gray"][B]Intel Q9450[/B] 3.2/1.1250v TRUE + Scythe S-Flex SFF21E
    [B]OCZ Platinum PC8000[/B] 4x2gb 5-5-5-15 @960/1.8v
    [B]Gigabyte EP35-DS4[/B]
    [B]Samsung[/B] Spintpoint T HD501LJ HDD
    [B]Creative SB X-Fi Extreme Music[/B] + some USB t-amp
    [B]Sapphire HD3870[/B] @stock w/ AC Accelero S1[/COLOR][/SIZE]<td>[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Gray"][B]Antec P180B[/B] w/ 5x Yate Loon D12SL-12 @5v
    [B]Some Hi-Fi Speakers[/B] + dual 8" subs
    [B]Logitech G9 Mouse[/B]
    [B]Saitek Eclipse Keyboard[/B]
    [B]LG 37LB5D[/B]
    [B]Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 650W[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]</table>

phill9800 is offline 3500 posts and all I got was this T-shirt phill9800 will become famous soon enough

well i dont see the point.. if the pc can handle me running my cancer research program and the 3dmark programs (2001se and 03 and 05 if the pc's card is directx 9!! and pcmark 2004) its good enough for me.. i dont see the point otherwise.. its just another program thats a waste of time.. may as well have something usefull testing it..
    [url=**********************.hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12623][img]**********************.hwbot.org/signature/u12623.png[/img][/url]

[url=****************valid.canardpc**********/show_oc.php?id=1024291][img]****************valid.canardpc**********/cache/banner/1024291.png[/img][/url]

god you people need to learn some more! a system isnt stable just because it can run everyday stuff. and why would you even fold or anything like that if your not sure your cpu is 100% stable. you are most likely sending back wrong results! sorry to freak out but you have to check stability when overclocking. its not a option. its STUPID not too.

again sorry for getting upset it just that ignorance like that has bad effects on F@H.
    [img]**********************.sjohnson.info/bigfoot/WeStSiDePLaYa/sigupdate.JPG[/img]

phill9800 is offline 3500 posts and all I got was this T-shirt phill9800 will become famous soon enough

Question whats the biggie about prime?

Quote Originally Posted by WeStSiDePLaYa
    god you people need to learn some more! a system isnt stable just because it can run everyday stuff. and why would you even fold or anything like that if your not sure your cpu is 100% stable. you are most likely sending back wrong results! sorry to freak out but you have to check stability when overclocking. its not a option. its STUPID not too.

again sorry for getting upset it just that ignorance like that has bad effects on F@H.
    i dont think it would send back wrong results, if it did they would say. if something isnt stable it just crashes, no harm done in my eyes.. a little more voltage normally fixes the problem. prime to me is a waste of time. i just dont understand the need to run it.
    other than the fact most of the time i did try and run it at FACTORY settings, it never flippin' worked!! bit silly dont you think? i believe doing the way im doing it gives me just a good a result as someone does running prime.. i just dont worry about it if my machine crashes.. when its crashin in games then i worry, but other than that, no problems
    [url=**********************.hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12623][img]**********************.hwbot.org/signature/u12623.png[/img][/url]

[url=****************valid.canardpc**********/show_oc.php?id=1024291][img]****************valid.canardpc**********/cache/banner/1024291.png[/img][/url]

Quote Originally Posted by phill9800
    i dont think it would send back wrong results, if it did they would say. if something isnt stable it just crashes, no harm done in my eyes.. a little more voltage normally fixes the problem. prime to me is a waste of time. i just dont understand the need to run it.
    other than the fact most of the time i did try and run it at FACTORY settings, it never flippin' worked!! bit silly dont you think? i believe doing the way im doing it gives me just a good a result as someone does running prime.. i just dont worry about it if my machine crashes.. when its crashin in games then i worry, but other than that, no problems

oh my god thats the worst reasoning ever. if you computer isnt stable at clock speeds you have a problem. its not a problem with the program its your COMPUTER ISNT STABLE. prime95 isnt a waste of time. you really need to read up and learn how to oc properly.
    [img]**********************.sjohnson.info/bigfoot/WeStSiDePLaYa/sigupdate.JPG[/img]

I'd have to agree with WeStSiDe here. My system isn't reliably stable in my eyes unless Prime95 can run for 6-8 hours without trouble. I certainly wouldn't want to be contributing to something like F@H if I wasn't 100% certain my system was stable. Not all CPU errors will result in a crash, I'd hate to be sending out bad data to a good cause.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sure...but westside...you dont need to be so harsh eh
    [IMG]**********************.geocities**********/turbulentbonham/siggy.jpg[/IMG]

well if it dont run on a STANDARD cpu clock speeds etc, why on earth should i run it when its overclocked? i doubt it would send out wrong data if it wasnt stable with a overclock. i imagine they check all the results they have back. im sure it wouldnt send back bad results..

i dont think my overclocked pc ever crashed when i set it up like that. i really dont see the point in wasting time with prime. id rather be playing games and making sure things like that are working 100% rather than wasting time having a program maxing out my cpu that crashes when its not even overclocked! its just my opinion tho..

well if gaming is all you do, and your stable in 3d mark at 2500 mhz and your only stable in prime 95 at 2400 mhz, then what the hell? who needs prime 95 if all you do is game anyways.

i know 100 mhz isnt much but im just trying to make a point. not everyone runs a program that requires 100% accurate results like F@H. alot of programs can be really forgiving of small errors here and there. If you are overclocking for games, then you should run games (or 3dmark03) to test the stabilty.

i wouldnt test someones math skills by giving them an english exam
    Asus P5N-E SLI NF650I
    Inter Core2Duo E6600 @ stock.
    4x 1GB G.Skill 6400CL4D
    Radeon 2900 Pro 512mb
    Audigy2 Vanilla

You guys are almost giving stable a definition. Maintaining equilibrium is the defintion of stable. Wouldn't being able to run everyday tasks and do basically everything you wanted to do without a crash/restart or other error considered equilibrium? How can you say that your system is not stable if only that ONE program finds a fault with your system. If you feel your system has reached an equilibrium and it has the ability to maintain that equilibrium, then it is stable.

my overclocked pc never crashed but for some reason, prime wouldnt run on it. i never had ANY problems with it. the ram was only pc3200 but was running at 218 with cas 2 2-2-5 timings and the cpu was one of those xp1700's? that was running at something like 11.5x218 or something.. it was just under 2.5ghz. but it never crashed and never let me down.

prime is perhaps a great program, but i just run games and as long as it loads word and my games up, i really am not bothered. but i do unsure that to some people that prime is needed for them to see they have a stable pc. although isnt it more fun running things that you get enjoyment from rather than having numbers or funny shapes over the screen?

i guess its just a simple case of, each to their own. its no biggie

Actually it does send back wrong results. it was one of the primary reasons they added a stress test option to prime95. When you contribute to prime your computer doenst complain about mistakes, it just does the work and sends it to the server.

Say for instance you download a block of work, and the answer your seeking is inside that block, your computer does the work finds nothing and then requests more. You have caused a false negative.

False negatives arent exactly a bad thing, but for things where a competition and money is involved, like say RSA's RC5-72 challenge for $10,000, its serious. The competition involves brute forcing the encryption trying every single key combination untill the keyspace is exhausted and a solution is found.

When your talking about literally years of CPU cycles being contributed by a few hundred thousand contributors only to get to the end of the keyspace, not find the winning key and then have to restart. You can be sure someones going to be mad about that.

Then theres also false negatives where your computer does some work, finds an answer or solution, you send it in and its checked by another user and found to be wrong. Not only have you wasted your own time but you wasted someone elses, in the form of cpu cycles.

On the mersine boards they recommend that a stock clocked CPU be stressed tested for 24 hours, and an OC'd computer for 48 or more to weed out any instabilities that would only crop up during a different series of tests.
    Asus P5Q Pro
    GTX260 Core 219
    Corsair CMPSU-520HX PSU

Unhappy sorry, i didnt know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadistic
    Actually it does send back wrong results. it was one of the primary reasons they added a stress test option to prime95. When you contribute to prime your computer doenst complain about mistakes, it just does the work and sends it to the server.

Say for instance you download a block of work, and the answer your seeking is inside that block, your computer does the work finds nothing and then requests more. You have caused a false negative.

False negatives arent exactly a bad thing, but for things where a competition and money is involved, like say RSA's RC5-72 challenge for $10,000, its serious. The competition involves brute forcing the encryption trying every single key combination untill the keyspace is exhausted and a solution is found.

When your talking about literally years of CPU cycles being contributed by a few hundred thousand contributors only to get to the end of the keyspace, not find the winning key and then have to restart. You can be sure someones going to be mad about that.

Then theres also false negatives where your computer does some work, finds an answer or solution, you send it in and its checked by another user and found to be wrong. Not only have you wasted your own time but you wasted someone elses, in the form of cpu cycles.

On the mersine boards they recommend that a stock clocked CPU be stressed tested for 24 hours, and an OC'd computer for 48 or more to weed out any instabilities that would only crop up during a different series of tests.
    well since i hadnt been told or no one had said, how was i to know? simply, opps

well question 1. why would you need to run prime at stock speeds when it really should be fine to use? i can understand it for the overclock because you are pushing faster than the standard clock speeds... but stock?

surely 48 hours is a little over the top? i could think of better things my pc could be doing after 12 hours if it was proving to be ok... why 48 hours?!!

well when i get my new pc, i will run prime and all the 3dmarks i have (which is the 01se, 03 pro, 05 pro and pcmark 2004 pro as well, i bought the set ) and see if its gonna break down after a little while.. how long should i give it? 12 hours should be enough shouldnt it? i want to actually USE this new pc rather than not! i hate not being able to play my games!!!

well since i hadnt been told or no one had said, how was i to know? simply, opps

well question 1. why would you need to run prime at stock speeds when it really should be fine to use? i can understand it for the overclock because you are pushing faster than the standard clock speeds... but stock?

surely 48 hours is a little over the top? i could think of better things my pc could be doing after 12 hours if it was proving to be ok... why 48 hours?!!

well when i get my new pc, i will run prime and all the 3dmarks i have (which is the 01se, 03 pro, 05 pro and pcmark 2004 pro as well, i bought the set ) and see if its gonna break down after a little while.. how long should i give it? 12 hours should be enough shouldnt it? i want to actually USE this new pc rather than not! i hate not being able to play my games!!!
    Im guessing the reason for stock is to rule out any possible instabilities. Im sure its possible for a cpu to make mistakes the hotter it gets. If im not mistaken transistors increase in speed the more electricity is put through them and decrease in speed the more heat is present.

The 48 hour thing seems a bit excessive to me. I usually stick to 24 but I got to be honest, after watching my own personal OC go stable for 16 hours, then restarting it to do a 24 hour test and having it fail within the first hour or 2, its understandable why theres a recommendation for 48.

Prime Runs in low priority mode, if you run anything else in conjunction with prime, if that program demands CPU cycles it will get them. Its only when your computer sits there at idle that it ramps up to 100%. Of course, you can adjust this using the task manager in XP but something tells me thats not what you would want .

I usually find that doing the Prime just before I goto bed, and letting it continue while im at work is enough time. Usually if I do this and stop it when I get home from work its right around 22-24 hours, and doesnt impact me since im not there to enjoy my computer anyhow
    Asus P5Q Pro
    GTX260 Core 219
    Corsair CMPSU-520HX PSU

Wink when i have my new pc, i'll use it

Im guessing the reason for stock is to rule out any possible instabilities. Im sure its possible for a cpu to make mistakes the hotter it gets. If im not mistaken transistors increase in speed the more electricity is put through them and decrease in speed the more heat is present.

The 48 hour thing seems a bit excessive to me. I usually stick to 24 but I got to be honest, after watching my own personal OC go stable for 16 hours, then restarting it to do a 24 hour test and having it fail within the first hour or 2, its understandable why theres a recommendation for 48.

Prime Runs in low priority mode, if you run anything else in conjunction with prime, if that program demands CPU cycles it will get them. Its only when your computer sits there at idle that it ramps up to 100%. Of course, you can adjust this using the task manager in XP but something tells me thats not what you would want .

I usually find that doing the Prime just before I goto bed, and letting it continue while im at work is enough time. Usually if I do this and stop it when I get home from work its right around 22-24 hours, and doesnt impact me since im not there to enjoy my computer anyhow
    well like i said, i might let it run for about 12 hours if i can stand a brand new pc running without me doing anything for that long! im not sure how much or fast my new pc will be, im unsure what cpu im getting at the moment, but im sure it should be fast enough

thanks for the tip and i will use it when i get my new pc as i have said i personnaly cant wait for the new one.. but if prime is going to be on it for say a day, it better get stable very quick !!

The inherent flaw of assuming you are sending back healthy work units is this: It is your cpu that is doing the work. If F@H had one cpu doing the same work that it issued every single person, they would have an infinite supply of cpu's, and consequently lack the need for outside involvement. It would undermine the entire basis of F@H's dependency on people like us. Because F@H is depending on it's contributors to come up with the results, they cannot possibly know whether the work being turned in is correct or not; they do not know the outcome beforehand. There is no mold with which to compare the incoming results.

Do you see how entirely silly it would be to have thousands upon thousands of people filling up their clock cycles with alegedly 'important research work' when in reality the work has already been done?
    Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    1GB Corsair PC3200XL
    eVGA GeForce 6800 GT
    74GB Western Digital Raptor
    160GB Samsung Spinpoint

well like i said, i might let it run for about 12 hours if i can stand a brand new pc running without me doing anything for that long! im not sure how much or fast my new pc will be, im unsure what cpu im getting at the moment, but im sure it should be fast enough

thanks for the tip and i will use it when i get my new pc as i have said i personnaly cant wait for the new one.. but if prime is going to be on it for say a day, it better get stable very quick !!
    Trust me, I know exactly what you mean. Using Prime95 in the same manner that I have been makes OC'ing fairly slow and tedious process. Thankfully the need to sleep and work help me out ;p. Usually what ends up happening is Ill pick some settings out just before bed time, let prime go. If it fails by the time I wake up, readjust the settings and head to work.

Ive been getting alot better about picking settings tho and usually Im able to pick some out and it will run the full 22-24 hours. Even tho the temps arent bad Im having to stop my OC for now at 2300mhz. I think the 12v rail on the PSU is whats holding me back. Ive watched that damn thing dip as low as 11.68v in certain tests which is within 5% of 12v but very much lower than id like to see. Of course this "owning" of my 12v rail has only cropped up during prime. Maybe if I get some free time Ill see if the CPU burn in test in Sandra can do the same thing.

Also as an aside, Im going to give 3dmark a try for the first time in the 6 years or so that ive been into computers. Had a friend DL and burn me a CD with 2001 SE, 2003, and Mozilla Firefox (yey!).
    Asus P5Q Pro
    GTX260 Core 219
    Corsair CMPSU-520HX PSU

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GanymedeTen
    The inherent flaw of assuming you are sending back healthy work units is this: It is your cpu that is doing the work. If F@H had one cpu doing the same work that it issued every single person, they would have an infinite supply of cpu's, and consequently lack the need for outside involvement. It would undermine the entire basis of F@H's dependency on people like us. Because F@H is depending on it's contributors to come up with the results, they cannot possibly know whether the work being turned in is correct or not; they do not know the outcome beforehand. There is no mold with which to compare the incoming results.

Do you see how entirely silly it would be to have thousands upon thousands of people filling up their clock cycles with alegedly 'important research work' when in reality the work has already been done?
    i dont use the folding at home program as i use the cancer research program. i havent had an overclocked system for a very long time, so i havent been returning results. its what i USED to do, now dont when i get my new rig as i have said before, i will make sure i use prime its really that simple.

Wink thanks for the advice :)

Trust me, I know exactly what you mean. Using Prime95 in the same manner that I have been makes OC'ing fairly slow and tedious process. Thankfully the need to sleep and work help me out ;p. Usually what ends up happening is Ill pick some settings out just before bed time, let prime go. If it fails by the time I wake up, readjust the settings and head to work.

Ive been getting alot better about picking settings tho and usually Im able to pick some out and it will run the full 22-24 hours. Even tho the temps arent bad Im having to stop my OC for now at 2300mhz. I think the 12v rail on the PSU is whats holding me back. Ive watched that damn thing dip as low as 11.68v in certain tests which is within 5% of 12v but very much lower than id like to see. Of course this "owning" of my 12v rail has only cropped up during prime. Maybe if I get some free time Ill see if the CPU burn in test in Sandra can do the same thing.

Also as an aside, Im going to give 3dmark a try for the first time in the 6 years or so that ive been into computers. Had a friend DL and burn me a CD with 2001 SE, 2003, and Mozilla Firefox (yey!).
    well like i said, thanks for the advice and i look forward to posting some results. what would be best for the results with prime? no errors at all for 12 hours? or something more so like 1 error in 24 or something? i know its no errors for however long you use it, but just as a basic 'get to know the program thing' what would i be looking at for 'stable' performance?

+ Reply to Thread