+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dual layer dvd burners?

Default dual layer dvd burners?

anyone use them? think its worth it?
    workin on a deal for a sweet rig...ill get back atcha ina week or so

just got one but haven't bought any dual layer dvd-r or rw's yet. i think it'll be usefull for backups and stuff. i haven't played with it much though.
    CPU: Intel Q9400@3.6Ghz
    Mobo:GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-USB3P
    Mem: 8Gb DDR800
    Vid: HD3850 512mb(yeah, yeah, I know)

commercial DVDs (movies, DVD games) are all double layered. If you found a good program to copy DVDs, you could copy a dvd onto a dual layer DVD without worrying about compressing the video or any of that ugly stuff
    Asus P5N-E SLI NF650I
    Inter Core2Duo E6600 @ stock.
    4x 1GB G.Skill 6400CL4D
    Radeon 2900 Pro 512mb
    Audigy2 Vanilla

yeah thats what i was thinking, would dvdxcopyxpress do that? it wouldnt have to compress or anything, just copy to hard drive, and burn...only thing i dont like about the whole dual layer idea is that the discs are only 2.4x lol. i guess ill wait a bit

dvdshrink gets really good reviews and it's free. here's a site you can download it from and read some user reviews. **********************.snapfiles**********/get/dvdshrink.html
    CPU: Intel Q9400@3.6Ghz
    Mobo:GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-USB3P
    Mem: 8Gb DDR800
    Vid: HD3850 512mb(yeah, yeah, I know)

I still use a single layer DVD burner and DVDShrink when I need to make a back-up of something. Any of the videos I have done with DVDShrink show no visible difference after compressing them to 4.7GB, I have even compressed some to as much as 65% of their original size and it still looks pretty good.

With the added cost of the drives and the extremely expensive media in comparison, I'll be sticking with the single layer stuff for another while yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

my friend copys dvd's all the time what he does to save space instead of compressing the video, he jus removes all the special features like multi langs and captions that he dosent use, and and then the compression ammout is like 5% or less and still looks fab.
    [SIZE=2]Full Time Geek Squad Counter Intellegence Agent[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.0Ghz W/ Scythe Ninja Rev. B
    ASUS P5K Deluxe
    G.Skill DDRII PC-8000 4GB (2x2GB) @ 1090Mhz
    EVGA 8800GTS (rev.2) 512MB 700mhz core 2000mhz memory
    DELL 2007FPW
    2 Western Digital 150GB Raptors RAID 0
    500GB Western Digital
    Lian-li Pc-V1200A Plus W/ Enermax 620w Liberty PSU
    Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro
    Logitech Z-5500, G5 Laser Mouse and G15 Keyboard[/SIZE]

I want to get myself a dual layer burner but with no compatible media up here in Canada yet I'll wait and watch the prices fall.
    Woo it's always fun

if i had a dvd burner then i would not bother getting a new to get duallayer but since i dont then i would get a dual layers they are about the same price anyway
    i cant use a skeleton arm with that!<BR>p.s. i fight crime for beer <BR>hhhmm ok i may be a jerk but i'm a jedi jerk like my father was before me :P

Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    I want to get myself a dual layer burner but with no compatible media up here in Canada yet I'll wait and watch the prices fall.
    If your having trouble getting stuff up in Canada, you could always have it shipped to me, and I'll forward it. It may get there slightly used

Edit: My money order better not get to me slightly used either

yeah if the media wasnt so ridiculously overpriced and slow, it would be a good deal, cuz its only like 5 bux mroe then the single layer lol

I already have a DVD burner right now so it is not really worth upgrading at this point. But if I were buying a DVD burner now (cause I didn't have one) I think I'd get a dual layer one. The price difference isn't that much and then you won't have to worry about upgrading it later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Avid6eek
    If your having trouble getting stuff up in Canada, you could always have it shipped to me, and I'll forward it. It may get there slightly used

Edit: My money order better not get to me slightly used either
    Hehe I might take up up on that offer! Actually I already have a single layer burner and it's severing me well, when I upgrade Maggie will get this one.

Westy you're 100% correct, if someone is going to buy now it's best to go dual layer.
    Woo it's always fun

I'm amazed at how far down the prices have come. A 16X retail Dual Layer burner is only like $75. It would be nice if the media didn't cost so much

i cant use a skeleton arm with that!<BR>p.s. i fight crime for beer <BR>hhhmm ok i may be a jerk but i'm a jedi jerk like my father was before me :P

I have two dual-layer multi-format DVD burners. One is a Memorex 16X and the other is a Lite-On 8X unit. As the cost of a dual-layer is not significantly higher than a single-layer burner (on-line at places like Newegg**********), it made sense to go the dual-layer route. It is difficult to find dual-layer media in the Wash. DC area (or on-line) though. Check out dvdidle********** for good dvd-related software.

get one from liteon, they dont have a riplock on thier burners
    Intel Core2 Duo E8500 E0 Stepping
    Asus P5Q Pro
    Patriot PVS24G6400LLK (4-4-4-12)
    Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (4-4-4-12)
    GTX260 Core 219
    Corsair CMPSU-520HX PSU
    Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

Plextor makes the best optical drives. They have the fastest read/write times that I have seen out there. They do have a Dual Layer comming out px-716a. It will be available for preorder Novemeber 8. I am also thinking about buying a dvd burner. I'll probably end up getting the one mentioned above, I will not however be using Dual Layer discs until I can find them under $7 a piece.

What is a "riplock"? Thanks!

phill9800 is offline 3500 posts and all I got was this T-shirt phill9800 will become famous soon enough

im sticking with the pioneer models of dvd rw.. no ideas why, but my friend has had one and swears by them, plus they are cheap compared to the higher end drives.. always a nice thing
    [url=**********************.hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12623][img]**********************.hwbot.org/signature/u12623.png[/img][/url]

[url=****************valid.canardpc**********/show_oc.php?id=1024291][img]****************valid.canardpc**********/cache/banner/1024291.png[/img][/url]