+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dell / AMD

Default Dell / AMD

**********************.theinquirer.net/?article=19706

A REPORT in the Poughkeepsie Journal said that IBM has started a major extension to its 300 millimetre fabrication plant.
    East Fishkill, according to the paper, makes processors for high end IBM kit, for Apple Computers, and it claims, for Advanced Micro Devices.

AMD and IBM have a strategic alliance on microprocessor development, but it's never been entirely clear whether that deal includes making chips for the small X86 company.

The paper quotes the publisher of the Infrastructure newsletter as saying much of the R&D capacity at IBM's existing plant concerns AMD projects. AMD has staff based in East Fishkill.

It may also churn out Playstation 3 microprocessors at this fab.

The paper said that IBM is keeping silent on Annex 323-A, which it estimates will cost a cool one billion dollars.

The annex is 372,000 square feet and is being put together in a tearing hurry, the newspaper said. It also quotes a consultant as saying that there are "unusual alliances" afoot. We wonder what those could be.

This news comes as Dell CEO Kevin Rollins threw out further hints that his firm might use AMD microprocessors. Have a gander at Ace's Hardware forum.

**********************.aceshardware**********/forum?read=115112638

Had Kevin Rollins, Dell’s CEO and president, said that Dell was looking at AMD blah blah blah it would have been the usual drivel. Just pressuring Intel’s prices down. But he didn’t.

Kevin Rollins said (twice, not once by mistake - twice) that Dell are closer to AMD than they have ever been and that some of AMD’s chips are actually superior to Intel’s chips – especially the Opteron and Athlon 64 FX. Add to that the fact that Broadcom is focusing on chipsets for AMD Opteron and that Sanmina has joined the AMD Validated Server program. Hint: Dell is a huge customer at Broadcom and Sanmina.

AMD mentioned at their Analyst Day that 30 new server designs would be out in Q1 2005. A few of them will be from Dell. They are designed by Sanmina and they will run on Broadcom chipsets. The deal is printed out and already signed.

phill9800 is offline 3500 posts and all I got was this T-shirt phill9800 will become famous soon enough

all i will say is i hope something good comes from it all for AMD, hopefully they might lower their prices down
    [url=**********************.hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12623][img]**********************.hwbot.org/signature/u12623.png[/img][/url]

[url=****************valid.canardpc**********/show_oc.php?id=1024291][img]****************valid.canardpc**********/cache/banner/1024291.png[/img][/url]

Quote Originally Posted by phill9800
    all i will say is i hope something good comes from it all for AMD, hopefully they might lower their prices down
    eh..i hope something good happens to Intel though...soon too...they need to stay competitive to keep prices competitive
    <table><td width=325>[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Gray"][B]Intel Q9450[/B] 3.2/1.1250v TRUE + Scythe S-Flex SFF21E
    [B]OCZ Platinum PC8000[/B] 4x2gb 5-5-5-15 @960/1.8v
    [B]Gigabyte EP35-DS4[/B]
    [B]Samsung[/B] Spintpoint T HD501LJ HDD
    [B]Creative SB X-Fi Extreme Music[/B] + some USB t-amp
    [B]Sapphire HD3870[/B] @stock w/ AC Accelero S1[/COLOR][/SIZE]<td>[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Gray"][B]Antec P180B[/B] w/ 5x Yate Loon D12SL-12 @5v
    [B]Some Hi-Fi Speakers[/B] + dual 8" subs
    [B]Logitech G9 Mouse[/B]
    [B]Saitek Eclipse Keyboard[/B]
    [B]LG 37LB5D[/B]
    [B]Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 650W[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]</table>

I wouldn't expect this deal to lower prices, and Intel is doing just fine. They are still very much competative.

it sounds pretty sweet, and I'm not against buying a dell because of the tech support they offer (also I have a cousin who works in their tech support department, so that's kinda cool) I'll have to ask him if he's heard anything about this, although I'd have some doubts as he's only been working with them for a short while. but who knows. Also I'm hesitant to buy anything from dell or any computer store because you don't tend to know what you are getting for ram, all they tell you is the quantity in MB's or sometimes GB's. But considering there isn't really much of an advantage at stock speeds for the ddr-2 over the ddr, there isn't much of a hurry for any mobo's to support ddr-2, amd 64's and pci-e other than just to say they can do it. I know that I myself will be more than happy with the computer I plan on ordering in sometime in January, I might not get the most expensive graphics card till the summer, but from what I saw that albatron 6600 pci-e will more than do the trick for me, seeing as I'm not much of a first person shooter enthusiast.

if dell goes amd then amd's stock will rise so go buy amd stock...
    <font color=blue>1024mb ocz 3-2-3-5
    amd 64 3000
    dfi nf3 250gb
    MSI 9800pro 128mb
    WD 120gb 7200</font>

AMD with Dell sounds nice, but I'd rather build it myself. I think intel and a lot of "cheapo" companies use POS mobos, RAM, PSUs, etc...
    -------------------------------------------

[B]HP 8510w Laptop[/B]

Intel Core2 Duo T7500 2.2Ghz
    4GB RAM
    nVidia Quadro 570M
    1920x1200 rez
    320GB Seagate Momentus 7200.3

AMD's stock appears to have already adjusted for the possible acceptance by Dell.

****************finance.yahoo**********/q/bc?s=AMD&t=1y

even though i know nothing about stocks, it looks like AMD is doing better than Itel right now, i just did a compare so im not sure if im even comparing them right ****************finance.yahoo**********/q/bc?s=AMD&...z=l&q=l&c=INTC
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 @ 3.6ghz 400x9 1.35v <Strike>Cooled by D-Tek Fuzion w/Acc. Nozzel</strike>
    H20 Dead =(, Xigmatek Dark Knight
    Gigabyte GA P35 DS4
    G-Skill 2x2gb/Crucial Ballistix 2x1gb DDR2800 @ 4-4-4-12 2.1v
    EVGA Geforce 9800GX2 @stock
    PC Power & Cooling 750w
    Coolermaster Stacker 810
    <Strike>Tygon 1/2 tubing/DD Black Ice Extreme 2 Rad/Hydor L30 AC pump/5.25 rez</Strike>
    Windows 7 64bit

Both companies have been doing better since the end of the summer. AMD's improvement is bulstered by their improving sales, and very positive outlook.