+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can I flash a bios on new system before installing OS? (XPstd OverClock)

Default Can I flash a bios on new system before installing OS? (XPstd OverClock)

Can I flash a bios on new system before installing OS?
    Hi ... I just acquired all the components for a new system ... except the processor. I am waiting for the AMD 64 X2 this July.

I got a Gigabyte 939 socket mobo ... since I heard that the dual core would operate in existing mobos with a bios flash. Downloaded the 'beta' bios from the Gigabyte website.

Then ... "duh!" ... I realized that since the bios was not yet updated, how was I going to install the OS with the new processor?

I will be running XP Pro. I read somewhere that you can flash bios from 'dos' ... according to the article the preferred method ... and you do so by booting with a 'win boot' disc. The article mentioned 'win98 boot' ... which I have if needed, though I of course also have the 'winxp boot disk.' (albeit on a a cd since I won't be using a 3.5 floppy on my new system).

So, here is my question. Will I be able to boot this way on a new system running my new processor with the old bios without OS and still be able to flash the bios before installing the OS?

... or, should I simply install the OS with the bios on the mobo with the new processor ... and then flash the bios from dos?

... or?

The 'sinking feeling' I've gotten is that I am either going to have to return the mobo and exchange it for a bios ready one when they are available or get another 939 cpu ... like the 'cheapest' one ... to get up and running and then flash the bios.

Thanks

You're worrying about it too much . All you need to do is go to the website (which should contain instructions on how to flash your motherboard), download the latest bios, and flash it. Usually if you aren't going to do it within Windows, what you need to do is put it on a floppy and boot from the floppy. You should be able to navigate through the options from there.
    AMD X2 4800+<br>Thermalright XP-120<br>ASUS AN8-SLI Deluxe<br>NEC 3500A DVD-RW<br>Plextor PX-716SA SATA DVD-RW<br>Kingston HyperX PC3200 @ 2-2-2-5<br>Seagate 80gig SATA x 2<br>PC Power & Cooling Silencer 470 Watt<br>Audigy 2 ZS<br>ATI X1800 XT PCI-E<br>Viewsonic VP912b

Thanks, LZRnner ... I'm sure I am worrying too much! And I've already d/l'd the bios upgrade ...

But I'm still stuck on one point you didn't clearly answer: can this all be done before the OS is installed? ... I understand how to flash bios and have done it before ... but always in a system that was already loaded with the operating system.

That's why I asked the question the way I did. If my mobo won't properly recognize the cpu prior to the flash and I am bringing the system up for the first time ... can I still flash the bios on the way up?

Thanks again ...

Default Bios flash

Hi,

Obviously, you need a computer with a working operating system to download the latest bios and put it on floppy.

But you don't need a working O.S. to flash a bios. Just go into the bios currently and set to boot of a:. then put the floppy in and follow the steps provided by the manufacturer. T

There you have it.

xtroid2k

Yeah, I should have probably explained myself more clearly. What I meant by "if you aren't going to do it within Windows" was you can do it with or without Windows installed. So, to repeat what xtroid2k said, you will need at least one computer with an os installed...it need not be that one though.

The bios is totally seperate from the os, so as far as the bios is concerned, it does not care if you have an os installed or not. As the second method I was suggesting (booting from the floppy) does not require you to boot into the os, but rather make modifications on the bios level, you do not need an os installed...
    AMD X2 4800+<br>Thermalright XP-120<br>ASUS AN8-SLI Deluxe<br>NEC 3500A DVD-RW<br>Plextor PX-716SA SATA DVD-RW<br>Kingston HyperX PC3200 @ 2-2-2-5<br>Seagate 80gig SATA x 2<br>PC Power & Cooling Silencer 470 Watt<br>Audigy 2 ZS<br>ATI X1800 XT PCI-E<br>Viewsonic VP912b

Thanks a lot guys ... it's now clear to me that I can flash the bios without an installed OS.

One last 'sticky wicket' which the boys at the local geek store clarified ... but did not answer for me. They said I'd need to check with AMD and/ or the mobo manufacturer.

No way to tell if the 939 socket bios pre AMD dual core, even though physically the same, will recognize the dual core AMD 64 X2 cpu without the bios flashed ... that is, of course, the ultimate question behind my question about flashing without an OS ... I didn't understand it when I posted, but do now.

They said that the bios flash requires a "post," and if the mobo doesn't recognize the cpu this can't happen.

Their speculations: 1. the mobo will recognize the dual core as a single core cpu ... in which case I'm golden because I'll be able to flash (and install the OS).

2. The mobo won't recognize the cpu at all ... in which case i'll have to beg, borrow or steal some other single core Athlon 64 and flash the bios ... then start over with the new dual core.

I'll keep you "posted!"

(now I got to find the place in the member setup where I can enter my signature with all the kewl stuff ... I don't have yet.)

+ Reply to Thread