+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Minimize programs to system tray

phideauxx Guest

Default Minimize programs to system tray

Once upon a time I read a tip on how to make a registry edit so I could make Outlook minimize to the system tray so it wouldn't take up space on my taskbar. I used it and it worked great, but now I'm on a new computer and wanted to make the same change. I don't remember if it was something that applied only to Outlook or if it could be used for any program. Anyway, if someone could point me to the right place or remind me that would be great.

Hi phideauxx, welcome to PCStats!

If you go to Regedit (Start -> Run -> type "Regedit" without the quotes),

navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\O utlook\Preferences\MinToTray

Set to 1 to enable, and create it (a DWORD) if it doesn't exist. Set to 0 to disable.

I've made a VB Script to automatically do this - just click there, and click open, and let it run. I can assure you this script is entirely safe, but I would advise that running files ending in .vbs from emails or the internet from dodgy sources should be something you do with caution, as VBS is quite powerful.
    Last edited by Ace; 07-28-05 at 05:32 PM.
    Ace1 [Linux]
    Gigabyte EP35-DS3P | E7200 | Geil Ultra 4GB
    OCZ 700W | 16TB storage | Asus 9800GT & 8400GS
    24", 20" & 17" monitors | Behringer MS40 & Eltax Symphony

Major upgrade on the way

phideauxx Guest

Does anyone know if it is possible to use this edit or something similar to do the same thing for other programs?

I'm pretty sure this reg tweak is unique to Outlook.
    Ace1 [Linux]
    Gigabyte EP35-DS3P | E7200 | Geil Ultra 4GB
    OCZ 700W | 16TB storage | Asus 9800GT & 8400GS
    24", 20" & 17" monitors | Behringer MS40 & Eltax Symphony

Major upgrade on the way

Default One way...

Hi:
    I tried an app called Stardock Windowsblind, which helps you to skin your Windows. Certain skins include the possibility of minimizing windows to system tray.

For info about WindowsBlind, go to:
    **********************.stardock**********/products/windowblinds/
    For skins go to:

**********************.wincustomize**********

Warning: as any other app, it comsumes resources and may fail. After al it works on Winblows ... err... Windows®, remember ?

Hope it may help you.

Rdrk

Default I'll do you one better

I've found a program you have to "pay" for, but I got it off of torrentspy**********

It's called alltotray (all one word) Works for all programs, and it's awesome. Simply right-click on the program on your task bar, and select minimize to tray option, and it will shrink there. All future programs that have the same title like internet explorer (Iexplore.exe) will also goto the tray as well. Only downfall is that you can't choose certian windows of the same program. You're limited by program name only.

mr_sekoseko Guest

Thumbs up

try this program **********************.xneat**********/ .. it contains the send to tray features plus much more

it adds extra buttons to windows..
    [IMG]**********************.xneat**********/images/screenshoots/calc_titlebar_menu_features.gif[/IMG]

plus enabling you to arrange taskbar items by dragging.
    [IMG]**********************.xneat**********/images/screenshoots/taskbar.gif[/IMG]

+ Reply to Thread