+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I have one Printer and two computers, can I hook up one Printer to two computers?

joeeye Guest

Default I have one Printer and two computers, can I hook up one Printer to two computers?

Hey guys,

I don't know anything about setting up one printer to run with two computers, Please can you guys tell me what to do here? with what is the best way to do this? or can it be done at all? The printer has the 25 pin cables that hook up the computer end, then another similar type for connection on the other end that is the printer side. It is not USB.

What I have now is my primary computer in my bedroom and right next to it is a very good HP LaserJet 1100 printer hooked up to the PC with a printer cable. I have the computer hooked up to the internet with DSL thru a D-Link Router DI-524 by wire that runs off the phone jack right in the same room.

Then I have my secondary computer in my dinning room, its hooked up to the router by the cable that runs from my bedroom under the floors into the next room the dinning room.

But now, how do I set up the secondary computer in the dinning room to work with my primary computer and printer in my bedroom? Is there a wireless set up? or is there a splitter for the printer cable?

thank you, Joe

um... if wireless setup.

Put the printer on one of the computers, and share it on your workgroup/network. Then its possible
    [CENTER][Size=1][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"][B][U]Socket 939 parts[/U][/B]: AMD 64 Opteron 165 @ 2.7 GHz (CBB1E 0550 VPMW), 2X1 GB G.Skill DDR500 HZ (166 Mhz, 250 Mhz 3-4-4-8 1T), DFI Ultra-D NF4
    [B][U]Video Card[/U][/B]: eVGA 7950GT 256MB (thx NotMyBest2Day for the backup card MX400, still going to use it )[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"][U][B]Sound Card[/B][/U]:Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    [B][U]Hard Drives[/U][/B]: 300 GB Maxtor Diamondmax 10 SATA, 160 GB Seagate IDE[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Orange"][B][U]Optical Drives[/U][/B]: Nec ND-2500A (flashed to 2510A) on Enermax 485w Noisetaker[/COLOR][/center][/size][/FONT]

Your printer use parellel port @ Printer ports........
    You may :
    Use a wireless access router with build in print servers, hook up your printer to it and woolah, you have a printer to be shared upon all the PC in the wi-fi network!
    or
    You could just connect the printer to one PC, share the printer *on the printer properties* and the other PC in your network will be able to print directly........... but the 'main' PC must be powered on whenever you wanted to print.
    "Whether it's on the PC, or in the bedroom, Comixion always seems to have trouble getting his hardware to work like it is supposed to. Good luck! "
    - Avid6eek

[IMG]****************img10.imageshack.us/img10/6232/rivm92zq0.gif[/IMG]

joeeye Guest

So I have both of my computers hooked up to the router with wires, I have the one primary computer right on top of the DSL phone line and router, then I run a long wire out to the secondary computer.

So since both computers are hooked up are you saying I need to Network them so I can send off a print job to the computer with the printer?

I'm not sure what you meant with wireless?

joeeye Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zefram
    Your printer use parellel port @ Printer ports........
    You may :
    Use a wireless access router with build in print servers, hook up your printer to it and woolah, you have a printer to be shared upon all the PC in the wi-fi network!
    or
    You could just connect the printer to one PC, share the printer *on the printer properties* and the other PC in your network will be able to print directly........... but the 'main' PC must be powered on whenever you wanted to print.
    Zefram, my router is really a wireless router, but I believe it did not mention it had printer capabilities, so am I right to assume that I need another router to do it that way?

And also you mention the other way, to share the printer, this sounds like a better way for me to do this. But I never messed with Networking, so I need to read up on this and set it up like you said with going into the printer properties, and I'm guessing that I will see the other computer in my network, then this is where I will pick it up to share my printer? is this what your saying?

Thanks everybody, anymore help broken down would be great. I'm very new in this area and don't know anything about it.

Joe

Dam!!! this is hard for an old man like me

you can buy a wireless printer server... but sharing i think sharing will suite your needs...on the computer that is hooked up to the printer, go to the printers and fax thing in the control panel.

right click on your printer and then in the drop down menu you should see printer sharing or somthin of that sort... if not thats ok, jus goto properties and then youll see sharing. then youll want to hit share this printer.

then goto the other computer, goto my network places, then click on the left hand side, view workgroup of computers (this may take a minute) then if both computers are on the same workgroup then you should see both of them at this screen if not hit the up button, this will allow you to see all the workgroups on your network then connect to the computer w/ the printers work group and then double click on the computer, you will probably be prompted for a password, enter and administrator password for the computer with the printer attached. once you have done that you should be allowed to see all the shared drives and folders on that computer, plus you will see the printer, Jus double click on it and it will connect then it will add that printer to your computer and your all set.
    [SIZE=2]Full Time Geek Squad Counter Intellegence Agent[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.0Ghz W/ Scythe Ninja Rev. B
    ASUS P5K Deluxe
    G.Skill DDRII PC-8000 4GB (2x2GB) @ 1090Mhz
    EVGA 8800GTS (rev.2) 512MB 700mhz core 2000mhz memory
    DELL 2007FPW
    2 Western Digital 150GB Raptors RAID 0
    500GB Western Digital
    Lian-li Pc-V1200A Plus W/ Enermax 620w Liberty PSU
    Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro
    Logitech Z-5500, G5 Laser Mouse and G15 Keyboard[/SIZE]

joeeye Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chris000001
    you can buy a wireless printer server... but sharing i think sharing will suite your needs...on the computer that is hooked up to the printer, go to the printers and fax thing in the control panel.

right click on your printer and then in the drop down menu you should see printer sharing or somthin of that sort... if not thats ok, jus goto properties and then youll see sharing. then youll want to hit share this printer.

then goto the other computer, goto my network places, then click on the left hand side, view workgroup of computers (this may take a minute) then if both computers are on the same workgroup then you should see both of them at this screen if not hit the up button, this will allow you to see all the workgroups on your network then connect to the computer w/ the printers work group and then double click on the computer, you will probably be prompted for a password, enter and administrator password for the computer with the printer attached. once you have done that you should be allowed to see all the shared drives and folders on that computer, plus you will see the printer, Jus double click on it and it will connect then it will add that printer to your computer and your all set.
    Your the best, DAM!!!!! thank you so much for that info.

I just want to mention that my primary pc has Windows XP and the other PC has Windows ME, I thought I'd mention this, but I don't think it would matter? right?

So if I understand this right, the first option you said I can do is that there is such a thing that is wireless and it hooks up to only the printer (wireless printer serve) where my wireless router can work this option? but thats if my wireless router has this option of wireless printing? I think? I'm not sure about that??

But I'm going to try to set it up with the other way you said, going into network places, and view the workgroup of computers. But my eye's are slowly closing, I need some sleep, so I'll pick this up anxiously tomorrow

thank you my friend, I'll post back how things have gone tomorrow, Joe

Yea it should work with xp and me, at work i have computers with 98 printing on computers with XP and server '03.
    and then at home all my computers are connected to my server which shares the printer, including my mac.

here is a wireless printserver...

[IMG]**********************.newegg**********/Product/ShowImage.asp?image=33-124-137-05.jpg,33-124-137-02.JPG,33-124-137-03.JPG,33-124-137-07.jpg&CurImage=33-124-137-02.JPG&Description=LINKSYS%20WPS11%20Wireless%20Print%20S erver%20-%20Retail[/IMG]

im really not to sure on how you would configure this if you bought one but it would work with your router since its wireless, thats all that really matters, your router doesnt need any special features for it work.
    Last edited by chris000001; 10-02-05 at 11:59 PM.
    [SIZE=2]Full Time Geek Squad Counter Intellegence Agent[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.0Ghz W/ Scythe Ninja Rev. B
    ASUS P5K Deluxe
    G.Skill DDRII PC-8000 4GB (2x2GB) @ 1090Mhz
    EVGA 8800GTS (rev.2) 512MB 700mhz core 2000mhz memory
    DELL 2007FPW
    2 Western Digital 150GB Raptors RAID 0
    500GB Western Digital
    Lian-li Pc-V1200A Plus W/ Enermax 620w Liberty PSU
    Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro
    Logitech Z-5500, G5 Laser Mouse and G15 Keyboard[/SIZE]

joeeye Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chris000001
    here is a wireless printserver...

[IMG]**********************.newegg**********/Product/ShowImage.asp?image=33-124-137-05.jpg,33-124-137-02.JPG,33-124-137-03.JPG,33-124-137-07.jpg&CurImage=33-124-137-02.JPG&Description=LINKSYS%20WPS11%20Wireless%20Print%20S erver%20-%20Retail[/IMG]

im really not to sure on how you would configure this if you bought one but it would work with your router since its wireless, thats all that really matters, your router doesnt need any special features for it work.
    Thats so cool for the printer!!

One thing I need to know, can I use my router with a wired and wireless set up at the same time? I thought when I was first setting up my router it was not working right because I had to set it straight by shutting down the wireless part of it because I wanted to use it wired, but not 100% sure what I did because I was new to it.

But don't you think that with that wireless printer router I'll need to go wireless with everything I have? then that means I'll have to put wireless cards in both PC's. Hummm??? not sure if I want to do that, not a bad idea tho. I'll look into that part of it too, thanks for looking that up for me, I'll check that out big time

I just ordered some DSL cable so I can run a DSL wire from my bedroom to the living room, I just bought Cat 6 with 500Mhz now, seems new? they claim that its way better than Cat 5 350 Mhz, we'll see soon, but thats okay if I go wireless instead, its cheap wire any way, I'll sell it on Ebay .

God I'm soooo tired, ZZZZZzzzzzz z zz z z z

Joe

+ Reply to Thread