+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Asus A8N-SLI Premium, max RAM amount?

Question Asus A8N-SLI Premium, max RAM amount?

I'm looking to buy the Asus A8N-SLI Premium as part of a barbones kit from Monarchpc**********.....When I select this mobo, a popup appears saying that the Asus A8N-SLI Premium does not support 4 GB of ram...I was trying to find info to backup that claim...and why does this mobo have four slots, but doesnt support the 4GB? It seems to claim this on its spec sheets on ASUS website and other places as well. BIOS issue? Spacing around the slots??? I couldnt find any explanation.

I wasnt planning on installing more than 2 GB anyways...but I was just wondering why.

Ominous Gamer Guest

**********************.asus**********/products4.aspx?m...3&l2=15&l3=148

4 x DIMM, max. 4GB, DDR 400/333/266, ECC, non-ECC, un-buffered memory
    Dual Channel Architecture

Windows XP doesnt properly support more than 3 gigs anyways
    [SIZE=2]Full Time Geek Squad Counter Intellegence Agent[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.0Ghz W/ Scythe Ninja Rev. B
    ASUS P5K Deluxe
    G.Skill DDRII PC-8000 4GB (2x2GB) @ 1090Mhz
    EVGA 8800GTS (rev.2) 512MB 700mhz core 2000mhz memory
    DELL 2007FPW
    2 Western Digital 150GB Raptors RAID 0
    500GB Western Digital
    Lian-li Pc-V1200A Plus W/ Enermax 620w Liberty PSU
    Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro
    Logitech Z-5500, G5 Laser Mouse and G15 Keyboard[/SIZE]

Only 3 GB? does that include XP Pro 64? or does that support 8?

Ominous Gamer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chris000001
    Windows XP doesnt properly support more than 3 gigs anyways
    Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 Memory Support.
    The maximum amount of memory that can be supported on Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 is also 4 GB. However, Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition supports 32 GB of physical RAM and Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition supports 64 GB of physical RAM using the PAE feature.

**********************.microsoft**********/whdc/system...AE/PAEmem.mspx

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer
    Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 Memory Support.
    The maximum amount of memory that can be supported on Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 is also 4 GB. However, Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition supports 32 GB of physical RAM and Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition supports 64 GB of physical RAM using the PAE feature.

**********************.microsoft**********/whdc/system...AE/PAEmem.mspx

Stupid Microsoft....but thanks for the info OG....

oo cheers for this bit of info

im about to get another 2gb of ram taking me to 3gb

**********************.soundonsound**********/sos/may0...es/pcnotes.htm

this article is saying i should use the /3gb switch

i never knew that, glad it was pointed out
    [url=****************profile.xfire**********/yahooadam][img]****************miniprofile.xfire**********/bg/co/type/2/yahooadam.png[/img][/url]
    Jacking Your Threads Since 2005
    [url=**********************.last.fm/user/yahooadam/?chartstyle=lastfmrecent3v1] [img]****************imagegen.last.fm/lastfmrecent3v1/recenttracks/4/yahooadam.gif[/img] [/url]

Jimmy, getting the message like that from the Monarch website makes me wonder if the system builders over there have been having trouble getting 4GB of RAM to work on the Asus board. Perhaps they've been working on the boards first hand and are throwing up that caution based on their experience.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

most A64 based boards seem to support 4gb ram

however it seems windows doesnt support it very well

and if ure willing to spend £400+ on ram, wow ....
    [url=****************profile.xfire**********/yahooadam][img]****************miniprofile.xfire**********/bg/co/type/2/yahooadam.png[/img][/url]
    [url=**********************.last.fm/user/yahooadam/?chartstyle=lastfmrecent3v1] [img]****************imagegen.last.fm/lastfmrecent3v1/recenttracks/4/yahooadam.gif[/img] [/url]

I believed that warning was true, since, at MonarchPC, those techs build hundreds of systems/barebones/combos etc...so if something came up, repeatedly, it was in their good judgement to let the customer know...
    That "/3gb" in the boot file...I hope in Vista, I don't need to manually specify that I am using more than 8gb or whatever....or tell it how much cache my CPU's got.
    I now that I know...I just need to figure out how to fill out the 4 ddr slots...or maybe just wait for a better mobo...

With that and most boards it will say in Windows that you have , for example, 3.2GB or some lucky people get 3.9GB of RAM, the latter is usual the case.
    It shouldn't stop you from getting a mobo you want, or even that much RAM, but unless you have a specifec application that you need that much memory for, theres not going to be a performance increased that is noticed.
    Going for the "more means the best" isnt really a good idea. Just research the parts you want before plunking down the dough.
    A8N32 SLi deluxe
    Athlon 64 3700+
    2 x BFG 7800 GTX OC
    2 x 1GB OCZ Platinum
    X-FI Extreme Music
    2 x 74GB Raptors
    Enermax Liberty 620W PSU
    -----------------------------------------
    [B]Currently substituting due to "the incident"..... [/B]
    A8N SLI Premium
    Athlon 64 3500+
    2 x WD 200GB SATAII

apart from the fact most programs cant use over 2gb and windows only supports a max of 3

so no matter what 1gb will be wasted

As far as RAM, I 'm a newb when it comes to the quality vs quantity issue

Default Re: Asus A8N-SLI Premium, max RAM amount?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    I'm looking to buy the Asus A8N-SLI Premium as part of a barbones kit from Monarchpc**********.....When I select this mobo, a popup appears saying that the Asus A8N-SLI Premium does not support 4 GB of ram...I was trying to find info to backup that claim...and why does this mobo have four slots, but doesnt support the 4GB? It seems to claim this on its spec sheets on ASUS website and other places as well. BIOS issue? Spacing around the slots??? I couldnt find any explanation.

I wasnt planning on installing more than 2 GB anyways...but I was just wondering why.
    For everybody's information...I have recently installed 8GB ECC Ram in an Asus A8n SLI Deluxe successfully. Four 2 GB Sticks were purchased for around $80. A setting in the Bios was a bit ambiguous pertaining to installed ram. I simply disabled memory remapping (in Bios) and all Ram is now recognized and in use (Bios Version 1805 9/29/06). ECC Ram is cheap and it also works on the A8n SLI. The motherboard manual says 4GB MAX...This is simply not true if using ECC RAM. So go ahead and max those A8N SLI Deluxe boards out...You WILL NOT be disappointed when installing 8GB of RAM...Woo Hoo!!! JOY JOY!!
    Last edited by CATMAN; 03-22-11 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Add Date on Bios Version

Quote Originally Posted by CATMAN View Post
    For everybody's information...I have recently installed 8GB ECC Ram in an Asus A8n SLI Deluxe successfully. Four 2 GB Sticks were purchased for around $80. A setting in the Bios was a bit ambiguous pertaining to installed ram. I simply disabled memory remapping (in Bios) and all Ram is now recognized and in use (Bios Version 1805 9/29/06). ECC Ram is cheap and it also works on the A8n SLI. The motherboard manual says 4GB MAX...This is simply not true if using ECC RAM. So go ahead and max those A8N SLI Deluxe boards out...You WILL NOT be disappointed when installing 8GB of RAM...Woo Hoo!!! JOY JOY!!
    What memory (mfg, brand, type, etc.) did you install that worked? I would like to do the same thing.

Thanks in advance.

North face jackets is a favored classic for a reason. Warm and functional for outdoor exploration everywhere . North face outlet are the essential outdoor equipments for us in the winner. When we are sticking to do sports in winner, North face outlet store can help you to free from the cold. Made of the windproof and wearable material, the jackets are able to keep our bodies warm without the heavy layer of clothing. Put on the North face sale, and you can reach the highest mount you ever dream for, of course our motto is: Anything is possible. Never stops exploring, even in the cold winner. Get the wonderful and magic jackets from North face jackets shop and reach your goal now! When this winner coming, you will still be warm with the North Face we offered! North face sale Biliverdin become more and more popular. And this beautiful jacket is very suitable for trip, light, waterproof and breathable, which is full plastic jacket design and superior compression. In the cold weather, and When you start skiing, not only will want a high-quality skis, you also need good quality clothes, especially a good ski jacket. North face outlet store is your best choice. Our jackets website is offer high quality North face jackets, so you can come to our shop and have a look.
    [url=**********************.cheapasics-shoes**********/]cheap Asics shoes[/url]
    [url=**********************.cheapasics-shoes**********/]Asics running shoes[/url]
    [url=**********************.2011jacketonline**********/]North face jackets [/url]
    [url=**********************.2011jacketonline**********/] North face outlet store[/url]

+ Reply to Thread