+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New AI Processor

Default New AI Processor

The INQ has a breif article regarding the development of an AI didicated processor, something like the PPU but for the NPC artificial intelligence. Once again this sounds useful on paper, but it could be like the PPU again; Just not offering enough bang for the buck.

Also comes the issue of how many expansion cards do we need in a system? Now we've got a pair of videocards, the PPU, a sound card, and the AI card thrown in there. What I think I would really like to see is the ideas of a PPU and AI processor implemented in core specialization. Think of a nice fat chip with a pair of x86 general use cores with both a physics and AI specialized core rolled in there... would be pretty cool methinks.

**********************.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34213
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Re: New AI Processor

I don't understand what the role of the CPU will be when every function is offloaded to a speciallized processor. I personally still think the PPU is a good idea just because there is an obvious and noticable shift towards more destructable environments in games these days. With that added stress and things like cloth simulation, which I think I've heard isn't too great on a general purpose processor, the need for a separate physics card is becoming more real everyday. AI on the other hand doesn't seem to be as complex as physics nor as well developed. I think the specs said that the AI processor should be able to do AI about 200 times faster than a CPU. That's not nearly as much of a jump in performance as the speculated power of the PPU, which I think was a thousand fold or something like that.
    <font size=1>[COLOR=Green]AMD Phenom FX-5000 @ 2805Mhz (11x255)/2040Mhz NB & HT[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]XIGMATEK HDT-S1283
    [/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe (ACC: Auto)[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=SlateGray]2x2GB Corsair DHX C4 PC2-6400 @ 680Mhz (4-4-4-12 2T) (Unganged)[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=SlateGray]400GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10[/COLOR]
    1280MB EVGA GeForce GTX 470 @ 775/1550/3750 1.075V
    [COLOR="Blue"]512MB PNY GeForce GT 240 GDDR5 @ 625/1650/4000[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]600W OCZ GameXStream[/COLOR]
    Cooler Master CM 690
    [COLOR=Red]Windows [/COLOR][COLOR=Green]7 [/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]Ultimate [/COLOR][COLOR="Orange"]x64[/COLOR]
    F@H: [URL="****************fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=Michael_Lee"]Michael_Lee[/URL]

Again, as with Physics AI is very limited by the amount of CPU cycles you can use for it
    [url=****************profile.xfire**********/yahooadam][img]****************miniprofile.xfire**********/bg/co/type/2/yahooadam.png[/img][/url]
    Jacking Your Threads Since 2005
    [url=**********************.last.fm/user/yahooadam/?chartstyle=lastfmrecent3v1] [img]****************imagegen.last.fm/lastfmrecent3v1/recenttracks/4/yahooadam.gif[/img] [/url]

No, no... sigh... this is a poor idea. Physics is a hell of a lot more intensive than AI, and we all know how little PhysX did.
    Wilson: Ah yes, if it isn't Dr. Ironside.

House: Ah, if it isn't Dr. I had no friends when I was growing up so all I did was watch TV by myself which is why I can now make constant pop culture references which no-one understands but me.

Wilson: That's my name, don't wear it out.

ಠ_ಠ

physix is still very new

and complicated AI just cant be done because it uses so many clock cycles, so it isn't done

as with physics, you have to program with the extra capabilities, or nothing much will change
    [url=****************profile.xfire**********/yahooadam][img]****************miniprofile.xfire**********/bg/co/type/2/yahooadam.png[/img][/url]
    [url=**********************.last.fm/user/yahooadam/?chartstyle=lastfmrecent3v1] [img]****************imagegen.last.fm/lastfmrecent3v1/recenttracks/4/yahooadam.gif[/img] [/url]

also dont everybody play online with real ppl
    at least they seem to skimp singleplayer where ai
    are more active in many popular games
    i cant use a skeleton arm with that!<BR>p.s. i fight crime for beer <BR>hhhmm ok i may be a jerk but i'm a jedi jerk like my father was before me :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rudegar View Post
    also dont everybody play online with real ppl
    at least they seem to skimp singleplayer where ai
    are more active in many popular games
    but if you could actually make a smart, and challenging AI - offline games might be more popular

anyway, this isn't limited to FPS, nor limited to offline either

You can use bots in multilayer, but there are still a lot of offline, single player games out there (HL2 ?) that could benefit

rchlndstwdnt Guest

I think a card that contained a ppu and an aipu that fit nicely into a second or third pci-e slot would be wonderful. (Also brings up possibility of sli/crossfire for these units to achieve the ultimate in speed) Anyone else think this or is it just time for me to go to bed?

Quote Originally Posted by rchlndstwdnt View Post
    I think a card that contained a ppu and an aipu that fit nicely into a second or third pci-e slot would be wonderful. (Also brings up possibility of sli/crossfire for these units to achieve the ultimate in speed) Anyone else think this or is it just time for me to go to bed?
    Good Night! ...
    i7-965EE - ASUS R3E - Noctua NH-D14 - 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 - 2 WD 150GB VelociRaptors RAID 0 - 2 HD4870 X2s - Silverstone DA1000W PSU - Open Test Bench - Dell 3008 WFP 30" - Win7 64bit Ult
    24/7 Rig - Xeon 3360 - Noctua NH-U12P - Gigabyte EP45-UD3P - 8GB OCZ PC2 6400 - 2 Seagate 500GB-RAID 0 - ATI HD5850 - OCZ 700W PSU - Antec P180 - Dell 30" - Win7 64bit Ult

The best bots in my opinion are in the UT series. As far as single player enemies go, I've been most impressed by FarCry's AI.
    <font size=1>[COLOR=Green]AMD Phenom FX-5000 @ 2805Mhz (11x255)/2040Mhz NB & HT[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]XIGMATEK HDT-S1283
    [/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe (ACC: Auto)[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=SlateGray]2x2GB Corsair DHX C4 PC2-6400 @ 680Mhz (4-4-4-12 2T) (Unganged)[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=SlateGray]400GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10[/COLOR]
    1280MB EVGA GeForce GTX 470 @ 775/1550/3750 1.075V
    [COLOR="Blue"]512MB PNY GeForce GT 240 GDDR5 @ 625/1650/4000[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]600W OCZ GameXStream[/COLOR]
    Cooler Master CM 690
    [COLOR=Red]Windows [/COLOR][COLOR=Green]7 [/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]Ultimate [/COLOR][COLOR="Orange"]x64[/COLOR]
    F@H: [URL="****************fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=Michael_Lee"]Michael_Lee[/URL]

+ Reply to Thread