View Poll Results: Is 2ms LCD response good enough for Ist Person Shooters?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 71.43%
  • No

4 28.57%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2ms LCD for 1st Person Shooters

Default 2ms LCD for 1st Person Shooters

Hi there

Just scoping for feedback on 2 ms (grey to grey) response time LCD monitors? I have an 8 ms screen but I can't play 1st person shooters on it because it's too laggy.

I imagine 2 ms would be good enough but for the price tag I don't want to buy a lemon..

Default Re: 2ms LCD for 1st Person Shooters

i voted no, becuase you don't really need to spend all that money on a LCD to play fps. the 8ms screen one should work fine. i have a rosewill r912e which is 8 ms response time and works great. also are you sure its the lcd and not your rates or something?
    [SIZE="1"]AMD Opteron 146
    DFI Lanparty ut nF4 Ultra-D (modded SLI)
    1GB OCZ EL Platinum rev 2
    EVGA 7800GT CO SE
    Samsung F3 1TB
    OCZ Powerstream 600W
    Rosewill R912E
    Windows 7 Ult. X32[/SIZE]

Well....yeah it should be...an overkill. Those numbers sound like a marketing strategy to get you to pay extra bucks. Just about anything below 10ms should not be consistently visible to a human eye.
    I can be wrong though, something else should be present there that ties in with the 'lag'. Like seeing the mouse pointer trail: that's got to be much longer than 8ms, yet one still might notice one. Weird stuff...
    DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939
    AMD Opteron 165 Dual Core 334x9=3GHz@1.52v
    OCZ Platinum Rev.2 2x512MB DDR 400, 273@2.5-3-3-5
    160 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
    Antec TRUEPOWER TRIO 550W Power Supply
    eVGA 6800gs

Thanks People. It's entirely possible it's slower than 8 ms - i bought it off ebay not knowing that response time was important

I don't think it's a hardware issue. Have 6800GT which if anything should be overkill for Call of Duty and it works fine with the CRT. I set the refresh override for both (75 for LCD or 85Hz for CRT). The only problem is the CRT is not big enough to see properly (getting more and more short sited with age and I don't have the physical space for a bigger one. So you reckon 8 ms would be OK?

Thanks and regards

1/respose time is worst case max fps the panel can do
    2ms == 500fps

of cause if the refresh rate is not 500Hz which is not likely to be that will be max fps

a too high pixel response dont make the game laggy at all
    it give ghosting which blur the graphics when you move

your problem is elsewhere
    i cant use a skeleton arm with that!<BR>p.s. i fight crime for beer <BR>hhhmm ok i may be a jerk but i'm a jedi jerk like my father was before me :P

if you look at a color wave form for viewsonics 4ms monitor, you will see its only 4ms on one color and the rest of the time it's over 20ms...

ms marketing is a bunch of crap.
    [IMG]****************hatrackdesign**********/personal/Banner2.png[/IMG]

My monitor is 8ms and the only time FPSs look bad is when i cant enable vsink then i get some tearing but no ghosting.
    [SIZE="1"]Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 w/Scythe Ninja+ HS ₪ ASUS P5W DH DELUXE ₪ Corsair TX750W ₪ Antec P180B
    4GB (2 x 2GB) Mushkin DDR2 1066 + 2GB (2x1GB) Gskill DDR2 800 ₪ WD 640GB Sata 3.0Gb 32MB
    EVGA GTX470 ₪ BenQ 24" G2400WD & Acer 20" AL2032WA

AMD X2 7750 w/XP-120 ₪ GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-US2H ₪ CM Elite 431 ₪ 4GB (2 x 2GB) Gskill DDR2 1066
    WD 320GB Sata 3.0Gb + WD 250GB Sata 3.0Gb ₪ EVGA 8800 GT 512MB ₪ Westinghouse LTV40W1HDC 40" HDTV[/SIZE]

mrmarf Guest

CRT all the way for me, when you can get a Sony Trinitron tubed (i.e totally flat) Dell P1110 for 50 off ebay capable of 2048*1536@100hz, an LCD pales into comparison.

But then space isnt an issue for me.

BTW I voted yes, my bro has a 19" 2ms Viewsonic, nice monitor, no ghosting in FPS's.
    Last edited by mrmarf; 11-11-06 at 12:14 PM.

With a quality Monitor with an accurate response time rating, anything below 15ms is good and will not ghost. Most companies use different techniques to measure response time and do whatever possible to post the best scores.

Yep, the flat screens are superior if you have the space. Have Diamond Pro 2070 at work which you can crank all the way up to 160Hz

However I've just ordered an Asus MW221U 22" 2ms job for home, and I fully expect it to perform under FPS scenarios otherwise they can have it back..

Hi all, just letting you know that I've been using the ASUS for a couple of months now and it's excellent for both games and movies. Trick is to use analogue (vga) connection though. DVI is too slow - you just end up shooting rocks

What resolution are you running at?

If the resolution is stretched above 1280X1024, playing movies (DVD's) on high resolution using analogue (VGA) will result it motion tearing........

I have Dell 2007WFP (Rev A03) with 8ms GTG and 16ms typical response and suffice to say i dont have any problem with First person shooter, no motion sickness or ghosting
    "Whether it's on the PC, or in the bedroom, Comixion always seems to have trouble getting his hardware to work like it is supposed to. Good luck! "
    - Avid6eek

[IMG]****************img10.imageshack.us/img10/6232/rivm92zq0.gif[/IMG]

1/pixelreponse == worst case fps
    you do the math
    i cant use a skeleton arm with that!<BR>p.s. i fight crime for beer <BR>hhhmm ok i may be a jerk but i'm a jedi jerk like my father was before me :P

Quote Originally Posted by -Mont- View Post
    Hi there

Just scoping for feedback on 2 ms (grey to grey) response time LCD monitors? I have an 8 ms screen but I can't play 1st person shooters on it because it's too laggy.

I imagine 2 ms would be good enough but for the price tag I don't want to buy a lemon..
    WTF my samsung only has a 15ms and it works fine with BF2, HL2, Fear you name it and it works just fine. Are you drivers and stuf up to date.

BTW dont get a cheep LCD get a Samsung, or Sony they seem to work the best i have had mine for 5 years.
    Last edited by Philaroni; 02-28-07 at 06:19 PM.

poor repsonse time dont cause lagg
    it cause ghosting
    prob another cause of the lagg

and drivers for monitors are just text files which include supported Res's
    and what refresh is supported on the diff res's
    and if you are lucky a colour representive table

so no monitor driver dont cause lagg

Quote Originally Posted by Rudegar View Post
    poor repsonse time dont cause lagg
    it cause ghosting
    prob another cause of the lagg
    Let me clarify rudegar statement:
    Lag is caused when any fast moving object fps (frame per second) drops below 15-20 fps. Typical human eye cant differentiate anything above 60 hertz, and as long as your system could feed any games the necessary juice to keep it from dipping below slide-show level (20fps) you shouldnt notice any lags.

Another cause of lag is when your monitor couldnt change the pixel fast enough - this problem is known with LCD, its not ghosting but rather the pixel is display late, sometimes as much as displaying 6.5 frame late than CRT's.
    You could read about it HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Rudegar View Post
    and drivers for monitors are just text files which include supported Res's
    and what refresh is supported on the diff res's
    and if you are lucky a colour representive table

so no monitor driver dont cause lagg
    Drivers for monitor will determines the proper resoltion and refresh rate...... if you set it manually it wont be a problem then.

Plus the driver came with the ICM, ICC (Color Profile) that will make color printing produce the same color on what shown on the screen
    "Whether it's on the PC, or in the bedroom, Comixion always seems to have trouble getting his hardware to work like it is supposed to. Good luck! "
    - Avid6eek

[IMG]****************img10.imageshack.us/img10/6232/rivm92zq0.gif[/IMG]

As mentioned previously, the new monitors boasting 2ms response times are just a marketing ploy to sell their monitors. Response times ARE NOT standardized in they way they are measured, nor are they standardized across different monitors.

For example:
    An 8ms TN panel = A 16ms IPS panel in actual responsiveness when gaming.

If you want to buy a new LCD, the MOST important thing is to choose the right panel, either an IPS or a PVA/MVA panel. Panels which boast really low response times are usually TN panels and are usually inferior to IPS & PVA/MVA panels in both visual quality and responsiveness.

I play FPSs at high frame rates at high resolution. I personally think a 8-16ms IPS or PVA/MVA screen is more than satisfactory. If you have a VERY VERY keen eye, you can distinguish some faint ghosting at this response time, but you will not notice it after a few minutes of gaming and it does not affect your performance in game.

And as Zefram has clarified, what most people think is ghosting is actually lag caused by a decrease in frame rate, not from the lack of responsiveness of their LCDs.

I spent a year researching monitors before figuring all this out.
    Last edited by Salahuddin; 03-01-07 at 06:14 PM.
    [SIZE=1]Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 3.8GHZ
    ASUS P5K-E/Wifi
    OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC2-8000 2x2GB @ 941MHZ & 5-5-5-15
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1024MB @ 900/2100
    EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 675/973 (PhysX)
    2 x 500 GB WD Caviar SATA II (RAID 0)
    1 x 1TB WDl Caviar Black SATA II
    Samsung SH-203N LightScribe DVD Writer
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W[/SIZE]