+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PSU fan freaking out...

Default PSU fan freaking out...

On a random day, the fan in my PSU fan started to make a rattleing sound. Too lazy to pull it out of my computer, i gave it a few good smacks. It would be ok at first, but then it would start up again. Now it's just a loud noise, phasing from one sound to another. I then took it apart and found that if I turned it upside down (the fan itself), it makes a silght rattling sound. Maybe that's the sound and it's being amplified. Anywho.. if anyone could tell me what might be wrong with it or if I could replace just the fan (instead of the entire PSU), please let me know.
    My computer is dead T-T in the process of building a new one.

Default Re: PSU fan freaking out...

If the PSU is still within warranty, perhaps you should just go and RMA it.

Otherwise, you could take the PSU apart and take off the fan and replace it with new fans. If the fan uses 2 wire you just cut the wire and connect it together......... a little bit of wiring knowledge will help here
    "Whether it's on the PC, or in the bedroom, Comixion always seems to have trouble getting his hardware to work like it is supposed to. Good luck! "
    - Avid6eek

[IMG]****************img10.imageshack.us/img10/6232/rivm92zq0.gif[/IMG]

the fans bearings or whatever have probably just worn out
    [url=****************profile.xfire**********/yahooadam][img]****************miniprofile.xfire**********/bg/co/type/2/yahooadam.png[/img][/url]
    Jacking Your Threads Since 2005
    [url=**********************.last.fm/user/yahooadam/?chartstyle=lastfmrecent3v1] [img]****************imagegen.last.fm/lastfmrecent3v1/recenttracks/4/yahooadam.gif[/img] [/url]

you could take the PSU apart like previously suggested and while it's out oil the fan w/ some sewing machine oil, worked for me in the past.
    [IMG]****************img204.imageshack.us/img204/2333/core2duoownerqv2.jpg[/IMG]
    [img]****************img60.imageshack.us/img60/8826/biker34gh.png[/img]
    [IMG]****************img133.imageshack.us/img133/6461/ipoduser5au.png[/IMG]
    [url=****************userbars.org][img]****************img143.imageshack.us/img143/5562/counterstrikeubad1.png[/img][/url]

Thank you guys for replying. I'll try the sewing oil first, and if all else fails, i'll replace it. Thanks.

oh yeah, when I keep hitting back where the fan blows out, it shuts up sometimes, but sometimes goes back to grinding noises. What might that be? And the sewing oil... where do i get it? I can't open the fan itself because it's "push-lock" or something

Quote Originally Posted by DivinePoptart View Post
    oh yeah, when I keep hitting back where the fan blows out, it shuts up sometimes, but sometimes goes back to grinding noises. What might that be? And the sewing oil... where do i get it? I can't open the fan itself because it's "push-lock" or something
    You keep on hitting that PSU and later you'll lose more than your PSU. You might dislodged a capacitor on the PSU if you hit it strong enough, or the vibration from your frequent hitting might damage your harddrives

The fan have what we called an 'oil well', it is accessible by opening up the fan sticker (normally there's a small plastic cover). Put a little bit of sewing oil, or light grease (WD-40 will clean and lubricate the fan, but it wont last long since WD-40 evaporates).
    "Whether it's on the PC, or in the bedroom, Comixion always seems to have trouble getting his hardware to work like it is supposed to. Good luck! "
    - Avid6eek

[IMG]****************img10.imageshack.us/img10/6232/rivm92zq0.gif[/IMG]

+ Reply to Thread