+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using a PC's digital optical connection as an input

Default Using a PC's digital optical connection as an input

Hello again

I have a few queries about the optical connection on my PC. Firstly while computer literate, i have never used optical connections before. I am trying to use it as an input from my samsung screen/tv. Is it physically capable of this or does it only act as an output?

Secondly, when i go to my audio mixer and click devices there are 2 devices I can use. SPDIF OUT Creative SB X-Fi or Digital Output Device (SPDIF HD Audio Device). I assume one will use my onboard sound card to process the data and one will use my X-Fi card.

Thanks
    Ed
    Last edited by AMDfan; 09-30-08 at 08:26 AM.
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Blue]

2x 1GB OCZ PC-2 6400 Platinum
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB (OS)
    2x Samsung F1, 1Tb in Raid 1 (Main)
    Enermax Liberty 500W

Acer T230H
    Samsung Series 6 37inch[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Talking Re: Using a PC's digital optical connection as an input

The Asus P5W DH Deluxe

[IMG]**********************.asus**********/999/images/products/1198/backIO.jpg[/IMG]

The S/PDIF port on your Mobo is used as an OUTPUT and not an INPUT just to shed some light on your situation. Now the Coaxial Digital Audio Port I have no idea about really, because for one I have never really used one except to hook up my Yamaha Muvo Box and it was used as an OUTPUT to the Midi controller box.

Hope this helps you a little...

Default Re: Using a PC's digital optical connection as an input

Unless it specifically says INPUT on it it, it's only an output and cannot be used as an input.

You should disable your onboard sound seeing as you have an add-in sound card. Creative can sometimes be fussy with other audio devices.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz | ASUS P6TD Deluxe | Mushkin Blackline @ 1600MHz 7-9-7-24-1N
    Sapphire HD5870 1050MHz/1200MHz | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair HX850W
    Silverstone FT01-BW | Heatkiller 3.0 Nickel Plated | EK Acetal+Nickel 5870 Fullcover

Quote Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
    Unless it specifically says INPUT on it it, it's only an output and cannot be used as an input.

You should disable your onboard sound seeing as you have an add-in sound card. Creative can sometimes be fussy with other audio devices.
    I had a funny felling it was output only. I may get the Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series as it has a clear optical in and optical out connections. Only problem with this is I may be wasting my cash a bit seeing as I have a X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional Series already. Do people reckon I would notice a difference between the 2 cards?

I cant believe all of this hassle just because my new Samsung T200HD only has an optical out audio connection. Is a standard 1/8th inch jack really so pricey to include in a 200 screen.

I have now disabled the onboard sound in the bios and the mixer looks cleaner so thanks.
    Last edited by AMDfan; 09-30-08 at 02:57 PM.

Enermax Liberty 500W

Acer T230H

Quote Originally Posted by AMDfan View Post
    I had a funny felling it was output only. I may get the Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series as it has a clear optical in and optical out connections. Only problem with this is I may be wasting my cash a bit seeing as I have a X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional Series already. Do people reckon I would notice a difference between the 2 cards?
    I highly doubt you'd notice any difference. All you'd be getting is the additional input/outputs.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz | ASUS P6TD Deluxe | Mushkin Blackline @ 1600MHz 7-9-7-24-1N
    Sapphire HD5870 1050MHz/1200MHz | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair HX850W
    Silverstone FT01-BW | Heatkiller 3.0 Nickel Plated | EK Acetal+Nickel 5870 Fullcover

Another factor would be what type of speakers you are using. Plus, the human ear can only discern certain frequencies and for me, as I am getting a little hard of hearing, it doesn't matter much anymore. As long as I can hear footsteps behind me, I am still good!
    i7-965EE - ASUS R3E - Noctua NH-D14 - 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 - 2 WD 150GB VelociRaptors RAID 0 - 2 HD4870 X2s - Silverstone DA1000W PSU - Open Test Bench - Dell 3008 WFP 30" - Win7 64bit Ult
    24/7 Rig - Xeon 3360 - Noctua NH-U12P - Gigabyte EP45-UD3P - 8GB OCZ PC2 6400 - 2 Seagate 500GB-RAID 0 - ATI HD5850 - OCZ 700W PSU - Antec P180 - Dell 30" - Win7 64bit Ult

I am using a cambridge audio amp and some KEF iQ3 speakers. Its a good quality setup but I still dont think i will notice a difference. But i do need the connectivity only at 100 i'm not sure. Thanks for the help people. Im going to have to think this through myself i think.

Enermax Liberty 500W

Acer T230H

Quote Originally Posted by AMDfan View Post
    I am using a cambridge audio amp and some KEF iQ3 speakers. Its a good quality setup but I still dont think i will notice a difference. But i do need the connectivity only at 100 i'm not sure. Thanks for the help people. Im going to have to think this through myself i think.
    Wow, you'd one of the audio enthusiast who uses external amplifiers and good bookshelf-sized speakers

Are you using full surround 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 speakers? Or just 2.1?

And are your amplifiers capable of decoding a Dolby-Digital signal?

There's a MOD for X-Fi that enables it to encode a full Dolby Digital 5.1 to the amplifiers, thus giving you full surround sound using digital output.

[img]****************i11.photobucket**********/albums/a188/hil2mi/X-Fi/CreativeConsoleDDLIVE.jpg[/img]

This mod is illegal because Creative did not pay Dolby for it's encoders...... but once you got it cracked and working, it'd be worth it!
    "Whether it's on the PC, or in the bedroom, Comixion always seems to have trouble getting his hardware to work like it is supposed to. Good luck! "
    - Avid6eek

[IMG]****************img10.imageshack.us/img10/6232/rivm92zq0.gif[/IMG]

Yeh. I got fed up with all computer speakers having no mid-range and excessive bass. Hence I got the good bookshelf speakers. My amp is the cambridge audio azur 340a. Its just a good quality, 2 channel, analogue amp so dolby is out the window for now. Cheers for the hint about the mod though.

As i mentioned before I was looking to get something with an optical input but couldn't justify getting the creative titanium when i have the x-fi xtreme music. What i can justify maybe is getting the ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 as I am going to get a blu-ray optical drive. The essential connections I need are an optical input, optical output and 3.5mm mini jack output. First question is will these weird combo connectors provide this connectivity? I dont really understand what each jack offers seeing as the specs below list 5 capabilities and yet there's only 3 of them. Do the R+L RCA plugs act as the optical input/output too or is it talking about the HDMI plugs.

Analog Output Jack:RCA jack *2
    Analog Input Jack:Line-In/Mic-In 3.50mm mini jack *1
    Digital S/PDIF Output:Coaxial and High-bandwidth Optical Combo Connector
    Digital S/PDIF Input:Coaxial and High-bandwidth Optical Combo Connector (Shared with Line/Mic In)
    HDMI Input:HDMI1.3 Type A *1
    HDMI Outut:HDMI1.3 Type A *1

As I understand it i install the card, install the blu-ray drive, link the two with one of those 4pin audio cables, and the HD sound from the blu-ray will be fed through the optical output. Is this correct? I like the sound of this extra capability as I will be getting an amp in the future that can take an optical dolby feed.

Lastly, 2 questions about the HDMI's. Am i right in assuming that (1), the HDMI out just sends everything on your screen to a device without using much CPU or GPU power and (2), the HDMI input can be used for importing video to programs such as windows DVD maker?

Thanks
    Ed

Enermax Liberty 500W

Acer T230H

+ Reply to Thread