+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High-pitched squeal

Thumbs down High-pitched squeal

Hello,

There is a strange, high-pitched constant squealing sound coming from my motherboard (a Biostar T5 XE). I know it's not any of the fans, or the power supply (powered up the board with a different PSU, and already checked the CPU fan), so it must be coming from the motherboard.

The squeal is about 11000 Hz. The frequency dips every so often, and starts when the motherboard is powered on. It's done this ever since I got it (about 3 months ago when my ASUS M2N32-SLI died).

Any ideas why, or how to fix it? I've installed a mounting kit behind the motherboard (for a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 that won't mount on LGA1156), but other than that, I don't know what could be causing the squeal.
    Intel Core i3-530 @ 3.75 GHz
    on a Biostar T5XE
    with 4GB G.Skill ECO @ 7-8-7-24, 1360 MHz
    serving the PowerColor ATi Radeon 4850 @ 770 core, 2002 memory (650/1400 stock)
    with data from 250GB Western Digital SE16
    powered by a Mushkin HP-550
    cooled by a Xigmatek HDT-S1283
    all inside an Antec Nine Hundred.

Default Re: High-pitched squeal

Hi LuckyDucky

We hear noises like this every now and then from some videocards that come in for review at PCSTATS, though never as audible as you describe. As best I can tell this sound comes from an A) integrated circuit, B) portion of the power circuitry (ie. MOSFETs) or C) board mounted capacitors.

There was one instance when a TEC device on the test bench was being powered by an otherwise unloaded power supply. The 80+ PSU emitted an aweful high pitched noise that changed slightly based on the power demands of the TEC (between 5V-10.5V). In that instance, the engineers we spoke to tracked the issue down to the A-PFC power circuitry in the power supply, apparently the noise was caused because there was essentially not enough load.

Example Video of high-pitched sound: **********************.blip.tv/file/3959165

Other than replacing the board, perhaps it might be worthwhile adjusting some of the power saving, or power related options in the BIOS?
    Last edited by Max Page; 08-03-10 at 01:45 AM.

Default Re: High-pitched squeal

I think it's the MOSFETS. When I changed an option in the BIOS (CPU Power Save), the noise went down in pitch. #2 phase seems to be flashing, while the other two that are on are not.
    Also, when I load up the CPU, the whine starts to quiet down (but it really shouldn't be whining at all).

I've sent in an RMA about the issue.
    Last edited by LuckyDucky; 08-03-10 at 01:37 AM. Reason: More information
    Intel Core i3-530 @ 3.75 GHz
    on a Biostar T5XE
    with 4GB G.Skill ECO @ 7-8-7-24, 1360 MHz
    serving the PowerColor ATi Radeon 4850 @ 770 core, 2002 memory (650/1400 stock)
    with data from 250GB Western Digital SE16