+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Wait or Buy now?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    West Fargo, North Dakota
    Posts
    236

    Default Wait or Buy now?

    I been looking at a few Intel boards and reading around and it sounds like it would almost be best to wait for the new chipsets coming out later this year. Other then using my PC for gaming I also do a lot of work with 3DSmax and Photoshop and Unity. I have no need for intergradted graphics since I'll have a high end GPU. Its just the Mother Board and the CPU I am lost on.

    Currently I have:

    ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

    EVGA 01G-P3-N891-AR GeForce 9800 GX2

    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80569Q9550

    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7

    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996599


    My main issues is I can play just about all games on mostly the highest setting and they run fine. Part of me thinks getting an i7 and DDG3 and a new GPU won't really be worth the $$$


    Advice?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Wait or Buy now?

    If you are not having problems with a slow pc or hanging, I think you should just wait. Since most computer parts prices will still go down.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    17,654

    Default Re: Wait or Buy now?

    Prices of old hardware will always continue to go down. If you haven't already purchased a new machine, I'd suggestion something based off the LGA1155 platform. The i7 2600k or 2500k will treat you very well and you should have the option to upgrade to a new 22nm processor early next year. If you have a boatload of money you'd like to spend, you could always wait for the LGA2011 platform. Early benchmarks of it aren't all that impressive given the platform cost.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    168

    Default Re: Wait or Buy now?

    775 boards are still expensive.
    [url=****************valid.x86-secret**********/show_oc.php?id=343106][img]****************valid.x86-secret**********/cache/banner/343106.png[/img][/url]

    [IMG]****************img215.imageshack.us/img215/1885/13293202ug5.gif[/IMG]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Killington, Vt
    Age
    28
    Posts
    926

    Default Re: Wait or Buy now?

    I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge before I upgrade. It's a good idea to buy the newest generation of hardware, imo - then it stays current or semi-current for a longer period of time, and thus it's longer before you have to upgrade again.
    I'm still using basically the same machine as is in my sig. Added more hard drives, though
    Yep

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts