+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Still Reasons to Lap Heatsinks?

The People's Democratic Republic of Minnesota, USA, where nothing is allowed

Question Still Reasons to Lap Heatsinks?

Hello everyone!

It is time to upgrade my custom build rig, which has seen better days (born 2004).

I will be replacing the following parts: PSU, Vantec 400 watts; CPU, AMD Atholon XP 2800; GPU, EVGA 6600 GT; MB, MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR Nvidia NForce 2; Memory, 1GB XMS Corsair PC-3200 LLPT.

I am keeping the current hard drives SATA 2, until the prices return to normal.

The new parts: PSU, Corsair HX750 watts; CPU, AMP Phenom II X6-1055T, (this item will be equipped with an after market, Thermolab Baram Cooler heatsink, a joined with a 120mm fan, NB Multiframe S-Series, model #M12-9) MB, Gigabyte 970A-UD3; GPU, MSI N560 GTX; Memory, Crucial 2 sticks 2GB DDR3-1600 or Ballistix PC3-12800 CL8 1.65v.

I will be purchasing the hard drives, SATA 3, when pricing declines. BTW, the case is a Super Flower 301 (Korean), with a window on each side; as well as a removable tray for the system board. It has 5, 80mm fans, two front intakes, one top exhaust and two rear exhaust.

My concern is, that the new parts will generate a great deal more heat.

I do not overclock nor do I play any intensive games. On the other hand, I may one day and would have no problem taking the time and about 20 to $25, to lap the heatsink.

Once it is on, I am not incline to disassemble the heatsink, unless there are tech issues. Furthermore, I did examine the base of the heatsink and noticed it is high on both edges.

I read that the typical heatsink is concave, whereas, the CPUs are convex.

The current cooling numbers for the CPU, is running between 30 to 40C.

What say thee, to lap or not lap? Thank you kindly for any replies!
    [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="2"]Let government do for the people that the people can not do for themselves. A. Lincoln[/SIZE][/FONT]

The People's Democratic Republic of Minnesota, USA, where nothing is allowed

Thumbs up Re: Still Reasons to Lap Heatsinks?

I used two sources as my guide.

**********************.overclockersclub**********/guides/lapping/

**********************.techpowerup**********/articles/cooling/39

After reading the second one, I performed the water drop test and the water was equally displaced.

I am not sure how accurate this is, but for now I am going with it.

I will not be lapping the heatsink. I did find one hardware store that had them by the sheet, most others (including the Internet) where sold by the 5 sheets per pack; which at about $5 to $6 bucks for each grade made this a rather expense mod.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="2"]Let government do for the people that the people can not do for themselves. A. Lincoln[/SIZE][/FONT]

+ Reply to Thread